MATCH REPORT: Crewe 1-1 Blackpool

A moment of quality from experienced Crewe striker Ryan Lowe denied Blackpool a valuable victory at Gresty Road.

Saturday, 24th September 2016, 1:35 pm
Updated Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 2:09 pm
Gary Bowyer

The 38-year-old glanced home a header to cancel out Jon Guthrie’s first-half own goal, which had gifted the Seasiders the lead.

Not for the first time this season, Blackpool were incredibly wasteful in a first half where they created a number of clear opportunities.

After an untidy and eventful start to the game, Pool were gifted the lead with their first real attack, with Crewe defender Jon Guthrie heading a teasing Andy Taylor cross into the top corner of his own net.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The goal had come out of nowhere but prompted a spell of pressure from the visitors.

Armand Gnanduillet then went close to doubling his side’s lead only minutes later when his header fell wide.

Crewe were almost given a way back into the game when Clark Robertson was caught in possession on the edge of his own box by Ryan Lowe, who was then brought down for a free-kick. The following set piece was then palmed away by ‘keeper Sam Slocombe for a corner.

The resulting corner then caused danger in the Pool box, but Chris Dagnall was unable to make contact when the ball was crossed back into the box after being cleared.

Just like last week, the Seasiders had chances to extend their lead. Tom Aldred fired at Ben Garratt when a corner fell to him inside the six-yard box and Danny Philliskirk then blasted over the bar.

A sublime through ball by Philliskirk was then well saved by Garratt at the feet of Jim McAlister.

Armand Gnanduillet’s header was then cleared off the line by Oliver Turton as Pool failed to find their second.

Crewe were struggling to create any chances, but their fans thought they were back on level terms when Ryan Lowe’s header found the back of the net, only to be ruled out for offside.

Some great build-up play between Andy Taylor and Kyle Vassell saw the former shoot weakly at Garratt in the Crewe goal to mark the last opportunity of the first half.

Pool began the second half in the same fashion, with Philliskirk having a shot blocked on the edge of the box after good link-up play between Yeates and Vassell.

With an hour on the clock, Gnanduillet fired a rasping drive into the arms to Garratt when Yeates appeared to be better placed to his left.

Kelvin Mellor was given a booking after pulling back Crewe’s Callum Aintley to stop a counter attack.

Fellow defender Tom Aldred also found his name in the book after a late and rash challenge on Ryan Lowe.

Just a minute later, Lowe was wheeling away and celebrating after a glancing header found the back of the net following a superb cross in from the right.

Pool were close to retaking the lead when Mellor’s clipped in ball from the right was headed straight at the ‘keeper by Philliskirk at the back post.

The experienced Lowe was inches away from giving Crewe after dropping his shoulder and cutting inside to curl a wonderful shot past the fingertips of Lyness but onto the outside of the post.

Crewe mounted plenty of pressure in the final 15 minutes of the game but Blackpool held firm.

Crewe: Garratt, Turton, Guthrie, Davis, Bakayogo, Jones, Hollands (Ainley), Cooper, Kirk (Bingham), Lowe, Dagnall

Subs: Richards, Ray, Ng, Wintle, Udoh

Blackpool: Slocombe (Lyness), Mellor, Aldred, Robertson, Taylor, Yeates (Daniel), Payne, McAlister, Philliskirk, Vassell (Matt), Gnanduillet.

Subs not used: Aimson, Cain, Osayi-Samuel, Cullen

Attendance: 4,185 (624 Blackpool)