Fylde Hockey Club round-up: First team fights back for a draw

Fylde Hockey Club’s ladies’ first team bounced back from defeat to draw 2-2 with Didsbury Northern 1 in Vitality Women’s Conference North.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Fylde started cautiously against a solid Didsbury unit but, as the first quarter went on, they had good counter-attacks and interchanges in midfield.

However, they were unable to create the final scoring opportunity as both teams threatened the opposition defences without scoring.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The third quarter saw Didsbury open up a 2-0 advantage before Fylde responded.

Fylde Hockey Club's ladies' second team Picture: Fylde Hockey ClubFylde Hockey Club's ladies' second team Picture: Fylde Hockey Club
Fylde Hockey Club's ladies' second team Picture: Fylde Hockey Club
Read More
Costly late goals

They pulled a goal back when a penalty corner ended with Holly Farquharson scoring before another corner saw Flo Zappulla level matters.

North West Women’s Division One saw a 5-3 loss for the seconds at Carlisle’s firsts.

Carlisle scored two early goals before following it up with a third, though Kelly Tomes pulled one back for Fylde.

Hide Ad

Having dominated towards the end of the first half, Fylde made it 3-2 at half-time as Olivia John Haslam found the back of the net with a powerful, accurate shot.

Hide Ad

The second half opened with Fylde making it 3-3 as Frankie Margerison converted Keira Tomes’ pass.

After a constant battle between the two sides and great teamwork in defending corners, Fylde continued to pose a threat for the opposition.

Then, in the last 10 minutes, they conceded two goals to suffer an unfortunate loss.

Hide Ad

The ladies’ third team lost 7-0 at Wigton 1 in Division Two North as they had many regular players away.

Wigton opened up a three-goal lead at half-time as Fylde fought admirably until the end despite conceding a further four goals.

Hide Ad

North West Men’s Division Four North saw a 5-1 win for the men against Leyland and Chorley’s development team.

Fylde started well, James Dobson scoring from their first short corner before Luke Hitchen put away a solo effort.

Hide Ad

Leyland had plenty of possession, scoring a goal themselves, but Fylde restored their two-goal advantage just before half-time through Ollie Holmes.

The second half saw another team move lead to Dobson’s second goal before Hitchen completed his double and the scoring.

Leyland won several short corners but Fylde’s defence was resolute with keeper Craig Nutter making an important save.

Related topics: