Blackpool: From the courts 20-02-18

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Monday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 19-02-18

Damian Green, 28, assault

A violent dad who grabbed his former girlfriend by the ankles and pulled her to the floor while she had their baby son in her arms has been jailed.

Damian Green then smashed his ex’s phone and wiped his fingerprints from various items such as the television controller at her home in Chester Street, Poulton.

Green, 28, of Rose Lane, Preston, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was jailed for seven months and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Green was also put on a two-year restraining order which bans him from contacting or approaching his ex and going anywhere near her home address.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Green went round to his ex’s and became annoyed when she would not let him see a message which came through on her phone.

She was on the sofa with the baby in her arms and he grabbed her legs and pulled her off.

He then snatched her phone and threw it, smashing a picture frame, before throwing the mobile again making a hole in the wall.

Green then taunted her about how many women he had slept with during the time he was in a relationship with her.

At the time of the offence Green was on a suspended prison sentence for assault causing actual bodily harm on his ex.

Lisa Rainey, 43, theft

Security surveillance on the alcohol aisles at Booths, Poulton, was ramped up after massive losses of drink over Christmas.

Lisa Rainey was caught in the security net when she stole rum and liqueurs valued at £243.

Rainey, 43, of Norcliffe Road, Norbreck, pleaded guilty to two offences of theft and failing to answer bail and come to court.

She was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £120 compensation plus £20 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Rainey and another woman were identified from CCTV stealing alcohol.

The following day both women were seen stealing once more and were apprehended.

Rainey had missed court because her uncle had been in hospital. She had later surrendered herself to the police.

Scott McLean, 36, theft

A thief failed to come to court after attending a funeral in Scotland and had to be arrested.

Scott McLean, 36, of Dickson Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to shoplifting.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £20 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a security officer at Sainsburys,Talbot Road, saw McLean take a sound bar and a Bluetooth speaker valued together at £45 on October 20 at 4.30pm.

McLean had a criminal record of 74 offences 25 of those for theft and similar crimes.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said McLean had not appeared at the hearing because he had to attend a funeral in Scotland.

He and his partner had then stayed in Scotland and were currently living at an address in Aidrie.

Simon Croft, 29, assault

A would-be thief punched a shop security officer in the face saying sarcastically as he walked away: “Oh I wonder who did that?”

Simon Croft and a group of others had just been attempting to steal coffee from the resort’s Aldi.

He lashed out after the security officer told him he was barred from the shop. Croft told police he did it because the officer thought he was “the big I am”.

Croft, a 29-year-old qualified chef, of Withnell Road, South Shore, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £20 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £50 compensation to the security officer plus £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Croft and some others had plans to steal coffee at Aldi on Feb 15 at 7.45am.

A security officer went to the car park and told Croft and the group they were now barred from the store.

Croft punched the officer knocking his glasses off, causing him a sore eye and blurred sight which needed checking out at hospital.

In a report to the court, probation officer Tina Crook, said Croft had started using heroin and crack cocaine and his life had spiralled out of control.

Ms Crook added: “He says he can use £60 a day worth of heroin and crack cocaine. His lifestyle at the moment is consumed with drugs.”

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said his client had pleaded guilty immediately and had show remorse.

The defence added: “At the moment his life is at rock bottom.”