Blackpool: From the courts 19-02-18

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Friday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 16-02-18

Darren Shaw, 35, theft

A man stole a basketful of food and drink from a supermarket to fund his drugs habit.

Darren Shaw, 35, of St Bernard’s Road, Knott End, pleaded guilty to theft.

Prosecuting, Pam Smith said on December 7 Shaw was caught on CCTV stealing £130 worth of goods from the Co-op supermarket, Poulton.

He had loaded his basket with 11 sirloin steaks, four rib eye steaks, nine rump steaks, three beef joints, three pieces of cheese and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

When interviewed by police, he said he needed extra cash to buy heroin with.

He had 22 offences of theft and similar matters on his record.

Shaw told magistrates that he had been using drugs when he stole from the supermarket but he was now working with drug rehabilitation specialists and had a prescription for the heroin substitute Methadone.

He was bailed for pre-sentence reports by Blackpool magistrates.

Paul Maynard, 53, breach of the peace

A man who told a police officer he had a knife fixation was holding a large knife at the time.

Paul Maynard, 53, of Coronation Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace.

He was bound over in the sum of £50 for six months by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecuting, Sarah Perkins said on February 12 police were asked to go to a flat on Coronation Street.

An officer described Maynard as drunk and agitated, saying he was fixated by knives and holding one. The officer was unable to calm him down and arrested him.

Maynard, who had no previous convictions, said he suffered from bad nerves.

Susan Wilson, 48, fraud

A woman fraudulently used a bank card to make seven contactless transactions.

Forty eight-year-old Susan Wilson bought alcohol and tobacco from shops in Fleetwood spending a total of £144.35.

Wilson of North Church Street,Fleetwood, admitted fraud by false representation when she appeared before Blackpool Magistrates.

She was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £105 costs.Her lawyer Martin Hillson said that Wilson had found the card down a back alleyway and used to to buy goods which she then sold on.

Bradley Speakes, 31, driving while banned

A man who was banned from the road was caught behind the wheel of a car he had just bought.

Bradley Speakes, unemployed, 31, of Clyde Street, North Shore, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified without insurance.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a four weeks curfew, banned from driving for six months and ordered to pay £85 costs.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said on January 17 at 2.45pm police saw Speakes driving an Audi TT on Cocker Street.

The vehicle registered as having no insurance and when stopped Speakes said he had just bought the car and was driving it home.

At the time of the offence he was disqualified from driving until February next year.

Allan Cobain, defending, said his client had believed his ban had ended.

Speakes had been doing odd jobs at a garage and the owner had offered him the Audi TT for £600.

James Hutson, 27, criminal damage

A man was back in trouble with the law only hours after leaving court.

James Hutson had originally been arrested for damaging one public phone but after being released from custody he smashed two.

Hutson, unemployed, 27, of Briarfield Road, Poulton, pleaded guilty to causing damage.

He was sentenced to 18 weeks’ imprisonment and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Presiding magistrate, Mark Cowburn, told him: “We hope while you are in prison you will receive help and support because there is something not right with you at the moment.

“You cannot go around committing mindless acts of vandalism.”

Prosecuting, Pam Smith said on February 12 Hutson appeared before the court for damaging a public phone in Fleetwood and was put on a suspended prison sentence.

The same day he phoned police from a public kiosk in London Street, Fleetwood, was abusive to the operator and told her to get a police van to the location.

Police arrived to find he had broken the handsets in two kiosks.

When interviewed he said he had drunk a bottle of gin before damaging the two phones.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said: “At the moment there is something not quite right with his frame of mind.

“He said he did lose his job and was feeling quite despondent.”