Blackpool: From the courts 16-01-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 15th January 2018, 2:36 pm
Updated Monday, 15th January 2018, 2:40 pm
Blackpool magistrates court

Read More

Read More
Monday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 15-01-18

Lee Woodies, 44, drink-driving, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, no insurance, failing to stop for police

A banned drink-driver tried to out run police by driving at what was described as grossly excessive speed in residential areas.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lee Woodies drove at 70mph in 30mph areas round Cleveleys.

Woodies, 44, of Custom House Lane, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to driving dangerously with excess alcohol while disqualified, failing to stop for a police officer and having no insurance.

Prosecutor, Kerry Grieve, said police checked a Ford Focus Woodies was driving on North Drive, Cleveleys, on January 14 at 1.30am.

It was registered and insured to a woman, so police put on their vehicle’s blue lights and signalled him to stop.

The prosecutor asked for Woodies to be sentenced at crown court and said: “He refused to stop and police pursued him.

He drove dangerously at grossly excessive speeds between 50mph to 70mph in residential areas of 30mph.

He went straight through a give way junction and he was drunk while driving.”

A breath test showed 51 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

When interviewed by police, he said he panicked when he saw the police and drove off.

He knew he was banned and he had drunk three pints previously and eaten very little.

Woodies, who was on life licence for an offence of arson, had two previous convictions for drink-driving and one previous conviction for disqualified driving.

Woodies was bailed to appear for sentence at Preston Crown Court on February 14 by Blackpool magistrates.

Kieron Bates, 46, breach of the peace

A man complained about being asked to leave a flat by police after other residents objected to him being there.

Kieron Bates then stood outside the flats and swore at a police officer telling him: “You can’t kick me out of Vance Road.”

Bates, 46, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to breaching the peace.

He was bound over in the sum of £50 for 12 months by District Judge Jeff Brailsford.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said police were called to flats in the resort’s Vance Road after a complaint people were fighting in one of the flats on January 14 at 10.45pm.

Officers were told Bates and others had been arguing with other residents.

Bates had been banned from the address by the landlord because of previous problems.

Suzanne Mugford, defending, said Bates was homeless and had been for some time.

Someone said he could stay at a flat in Vance Road but other tenants objected.

Lee Walker, 45, assault

A man was seen slapping his partner across the face three times in the street on Christmas Eve.

Lee Walker, 45, of North Drive, Cleveleys, appeared before the court via the video link and pleaded guilty to assault.

He was sentenced to eight weeks imprisonment and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said witnesses saw Walker and a woman walking with a white dog near North Drive on November 28 at 3.45am.

Two police officers on mobile patrol saw Walker strike the woman across the face with his open palm. The woman appeared to be terrified.

When spoken to, the woman said she had not been assaulted as they had only exchanged words and she did not want to make a formal complaint.

The officers said they had seen the assault and when they arrested Walker he had to be taken to the floor.

When interviewed Walker said he was defending himself as she was assaulting him.

David Charnley, defending, said his client had been on licence from prison at the time of the offence and he had been recalled to jail. Walker had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Gary Kennedy, 33, criminal damage

A man accused of damaging his former girlfriend’s property has appeared at court.

Gary Kennedy, a 33-year-old father, of Nethway Avenue, Layton, who works as a plasterer, pleaded not guilty to damaging his ex’s front door and her Vauxhall Corsa on January 10.

The prosecution opposed an application for bail for Kennedy by defence lawyer Stephen Duffy.

Kennedy was bailed to April 18 for trial.

He must live at his given address, not contact his former girlfriend except via his mother over child contact and not enter Wyre Grove or Cowley Road, as conditions of his bail.