Blackpool: From the courts 15-01-18

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Friday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 12-01-18

Jaime Curtis, 40, knowingly failing to ensure a child’s regular attendance at school

A mother-of-five repeatedly allowed children to miss school.

Jaime Curtis was said to have refused to talk to a pupil welfare officer on numerous occasions and said she did not need support.

Curtis, 40, of Hall Avenue, South Shore, pleaded guilty to an offence of knowingly failing to ensure a child’s regular attendance at school.

She had three previous similar offences on her record from 2016 and last year.

Lynda Bennett, prosecuting for Blackpool Council’s Education Department, said the case concerned Curtis’ nine-year-old son who was a pupil at the resort’s Waterloo Primary Academy.

Between March and October last year her son had an attendance record at school of 78.71 percent and 47 unauthorised absences.

From March the school’s pupil welfare officer had sent numerous letters and made several visits to Curtis who either did not respond or said she did not need help.

On one occasion the pupil welfare officer said Curtis had shouted at her in front of children.

Robert Castle, defending, said a year ago Curtis’ partner of 22 years left her. She had five sons and she was ill at the time.

Over last year Curtis had undergone surgery for cancer and was taking a large amount of medication which made it difficult for her to concentrate. She had become extremely upset when asked about the offence. Curtis’ nine-year-old son had also fallen out of a tree last year.

He had severely damaged his mouth and teeth and had to undergo reconstructive surgery at the dentist and hospital.

Curtis’ case was adjourned for pre-sentence reports by Blackpool magistrates.

Luke Cousins, 22, driving dangerously

A man accused of driving at more than 90mph round built-up areas of Blackpool during a police chase involving the force helicopter has made his first appearance at court.

Luke Cousins, 22, of Wensleydale Avenue, Grange Park, is charged with driving a Saab dangerously in Whitegate Drive and numerous other resort roads on August 4 last year.

He is also accused of driving without insurance an MoT and not in accordance with his licence. Cousins was given unconditional bail to appear at Preston Crown Court on February 14.

Paul Cuthbert, 46, robbery

A man accused of robbing a Blackpool bookmakers has made his first appearance at court.

Paul Cuthbert, 46, of Oak House, Knowle Avenue, North Shore, is charged with stealing £195 cash in a robbery at William Hill bookies on December 29 last year.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the case must be heard at crown court.Brett Chappell, defending, did not ask for bail for his client and said Cuthbert had indicated he would plead not guilty to the offence.

Cuthbert was remanded in custody to appear at Preston Crown Court on February 14.

Leigh Swindlehurst, 53, assault

A son threw a tray of food which hit his 79-year-old mother on the forehead after an argument over presents.

Leigh Swindlehurst, who was said to have started experimenting with alcohol at the age of 11, had been drinking vodka before the attack at the home he then shared with his mum in Warwick Road, St Annes.

Swindlehurst, a 53-year-old former delivery driver, of Foxdale Avenue, Layton, pleaded guilty to assault.He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £40 with £45 costs and ordered to pay £85 victims’ surcharge.

Simon Marks, 46, breaching bail

A Blackpool man has admitted breaching his bail by contacting his ex partner.

Simon Marks, 46, of Preston New Road is awaiting trial.

He is charged with assaulting the woman.Marks admitted sending the woman threatening texts during the Christmas period.

Blackpool Magistrates agreed to re-bail him.

Callum Blundell, 26, drunk and disorderly

A man who had been drinking refused to leave hospital after he had been discharged.

Callum Blundell, 26, of Astling Green, Blackpool, now living at Victor Road, Manchester, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £40 with £40 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Martin Hillson, defending, said Blundell had been suffering from drink dependancy problems for some time and towards the end of last year his drinking got out of hand and his behaviour became more erratic.