Blackpool: From the courts 15-05-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 7:00 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 11-05-18

Paul Clare, 40, failing to comply with court order

A father-of-seven breached a court order after working all hours to pay off debts he was wrongly said to owe.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Paul Clare, 40, of Harrowside, South Shore, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a community order, imposed for failing to secure the attendance at school of two children.

He was fined £50 and had his order extended by six months.

David Pierre, 33, failing to comply with court order

A man found himself back in court after behaving badly while he was doing unpaid work for the community.

David Pierre, 33, of East Boothroyden, North Shore, urinated in a public place and also took the keys from the vehicle used to transport the payback workers.

He pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a court order. He was fined £50.

Mark O’Connor, 26, assault

A former soldier with a record of violence towards girlfriends slapped his current partner after she tried to help him when he was feeling suicidal.

Mark O’Connor, a 26-year-old welder, of Gynn Avenue, North Shore, who had four previous convictions for assault on a partner, including punching one girlfriend in the stomach while she was pregnant, pleaded guilty to assault.

O’Connor’s father pleaded with magistrates not to jail his son saying prison would exacerbate his mental health condition and he feared he would not see him again.

He was sentenced to a two year community order with 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £90 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £100 compensation to the complainant plus £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said O’Connor and his girlfriend, who had not been in a relationship long, had been on a night out at the Walkabout on April 21.

They argued and left the nightspot and at 3am were on Blackpool Promenade when O’Connor walked into the sea saying no-one cared about him.

His girlfriend went into the water and persuaded him to come out.

O’Connor then accused her of not loving him and hit her across the face with the back of his hand.

A passerby came to her assistance and O’Connor grappled with him in the middle of the road, Martin Hillson, defending, said O’Connor had suffered from significant mental health issues for a long time.

Both O’Connor and his girlfriend had been drinking that evening.

Shaun Neil, 38, breach of court order

A man found himself back before a court after going missing for 86 hours during his curfew.

Shaun Neil, 38, of Edmonton Place, Bispham, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a court order.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £50 and ordered to pay £60 costs.

Cheryl Crawford, prosecuting for the probation service, said Neil had previously been sentenced to a community order with a curfew between 9pm and 7am for an offence of possessing a bladed article in public.

Between April 13 and 24 Neil was not present for 86 hours of his curfew.

Mitch Sarangi, defending, said Neil had been on remand in custody for two to three months before he was sentenced.

Neil had been put on a curfew at his address in Fleetwood , but when he got out of prison his landlord had changed the locks and he had to move back in with his mother.

Nick Aspinall, 27, extension of restraining order

A woman was so frightened of her former boyfriend that she changed her hair colour in an attempt to conceal her identity from him.

She told a court that she felt like a prisoner in her own home and that her ex was playing games with her and trying to taunt her.

The woman was applying for a restraining order against her former boyfriend Nick Aspinall, a 27-year-old chef, of Holmstead Way, Fleetwood, to be extended.

Magistrates agreed to extend the indefinite restraining order.

The court was told that Aspinall, who was sent to custody as a youth for supplying cocaine, had previously stolen £6,000 from his ex’s bank account and had twice been convicted of assaulting her.

Aspinall had been put on a restraining order.

The woman told magistrates she was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder as a result of the ordeals Aspinall had put her through and she was being treated by specialists.

She said: “He has total and utter disregard for the restraining order. Every time I go out he’s there.”