Casualty suffers burns after 'pan of food' catches fire at home in Knott End
One person was handed over to the care of paramedics after a pan caught fire at a home in Knott End today (April 12).
Two fire engines from Preesall and Bispham attended the scene on the Esplanade shortly before 4am.
The fire - which reportedly involved a pan of food - was out on arrival, but firefighters administered first aid to one casualty who had burnt their hand.
Firefighters were at the scene for thirty minutes.
North West Ambulance Service has been approached for more information.
How to prevent cooking fires
- Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re distracted or called away from the cooker
- Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure fat doesn’t get too hot
- If you’re off enjoying a night out, consider preparing some food for when you come home or perhaps visiting a takeaway instead if you are hungry
- Don’t overfill a pan with oil – never fill it more than one-third full
- Don’t store items on cooker hobs. Radiated heat can easily ignite combustible items. It is easy to accidentally turn on the wrong dial for the hob or oven
- Avoid storing items in the oven incase it gets switched on accidentally
- If your pan does catch fire, don’t throw water over it; especially if you were cooking with fat or hot oil
- Be very careful if you are wearing loose clothing
To find out more, visit the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service website by clicking HERE.
It is thanks to our loyal readers that we can continue to provide the trusted news, analysis and insight that matters to you. For unlimited access to our unrivalled local reporting, you can take out a subscription here and help support the work of our dedicated team of reporters.