Fleetwood fight back to share the spoils

Fleetwood's Scott Dobbie           Picture: Derick ThomasFleetwood's Scott Dobbie           Picture: Derick Thomas
Fleetwood's Scott Dobbie Picture: Derick Thomas
Fleetwood maintained their unbeaten record and top-of-the-table status with a hard fought 17-17 draw against a very capable and well-drilled Wigton side.

It was the visitors who opened the scoring however with a well worked try in the left corner after 18 minutes of play.

After the big Cumbrian forwards had punched holes in the Fleetwood defence an overlap was created in the backs, the try was scored by Aaron Henderson and converted by the full-back.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Fleetwood were then penalised for an offence at the breakdown and Wigton made no mistake with the kick to extend the lead to 10-0.

It was crucial for Fleetwood to get the next score to remain in touch with their opponents.

Rob Brookfield obliged with an excellent break before offloading to Scott Richardson who raced away to score near the posts, the same player adding the extras to reduce the deficit to 7-10 at half-time.

Wigton again started the second half with lots of possession and applied intense pressure on the Fleetwood line but came away without a score.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Soon after, however, the visitors attacked again and the right-winger finished off the move despite the suspicion of a knock on.

Another fine touchline conversion gave them a 17-7 cushion.

Fleetwood showed great resolve and their forwards put in a big shift to secure possession despite the efforts of their opponents to slow the ball down.

It was the backs’ turn to get in the action with Stapleton and Torkington combining well before winger Kris Phillips showed great pace and confidence to take the outside line to score in the corner, Richardson adding the conversion to make it 17-14.

This brought a period of intense pressure from Fleetwood with the forwards again driving into their opponents despite Jordan Brocklehurst being shown a yellow card along with a Wigton player for their indiscretions.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Chris Jones also came off the bench and made an immediate impact with a characteristic barnstorming run.

Fleetwood continued to press and looked for the winning try but an unlucky forward pass was adjudged with the try line in sight.

Wigton then worked their way downfield and were awarded two penalties within kicking distance but Fleetwood were thrown a lifeline with the target being missed on both occasions.

Fleetwood worked their way back up the field and were awarded a penalty in front of the posts about 25 metres out.

The referee had called last play and it was down to Richardson once again to hold his nerve to slot over the vital three points and level the score as the final whistle blew.