Poulton and District Primary League review

YMCA advanced to the semi-finals of the U11 Coulton Cup after beating Lytham Juniors 8-0 at AKS.

Thursday, 24th March 2016, 1:26 pm
Updated Thursday, 24th March 2016, 1:27 pm

Although Lytham started the brighter, YMCA took control after winger Harry Gledhill, capitalised on a defensive mix-up to score.

Lytham should have equalised minutes later but the lively Elliot Collings shot just wide of the goal.

YMCA doubled their lead soon after as striker Thomas Shuttleworth forced the ball in from close range.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

YMCA were clinical as further first half goals from Harry Gledhill and Finn Pearson saw them go in at half-time 4-0 up.

The visitors dominated proceedings in the second half. Shuttleworth bagged two more goals to complete his hat-trick, with Gledhill also converting a cross from the left to grab his second. Kaiden Pirrie completed the scoring near the end, stabbing in from close range to cap off a convincing performance from YMCA.

In other Coulton Cup quarter-finals, Clifton Rangers Bees U9 secured victory at Kirkham Junior Reds, while Poulton FC Stripes advanced to the semi-finals after a dramatic penalty shootout win against Layton Junior Clarets, following a 2-2 draw respectively.

Poulton edged the opening exchanges of the match and found themselves ahead when Manson finished a great team move.

The Stripes doubled their advantage when Sandvig did well to score under pressure but Layton pulled a goal back to set up a tense second half.

Layton pushed for an equaliser and got one to send the match to penalties, in which Poulton keeper Pilling was the hero as he made the decisive save to send the Stripes into the semis.

A penalty shootout was needed in the game between Thornton Cleveleys Reds and St Annes Greens as they could not be separated in normal time, with the former advancing.

YMCA Oranges pulled off a hard-fought 2-1 win at FC Rangers. In a closely contested match, the Oranges went into the half-time break 1-0 up thanks to a Liam Roberts strike.

The second half was close but a goal from YMCA’s Dan Brimble gave the visitors a two-goal cushion.

Rangers did pull a goal back in the closing stages thanks to Xavier Gil’s free-kick but the Oranges stood firm and held on for a priceless victory.

In the U9 Coulton Plate, BJFF Predators secured passage into the semi-finals with victory over St. Annes Purples.

Despite numerous chances in the first half for both teams, they went in at the break goalless.

The second half almost mirrored the first as both sides had chances and it took a fine piece of individual brilliance from the Predators’ Finlay Keeling to break the deadlock. He beat two defenders before slotting into the bottom corner.

That goal opened the game up as minutes later St Annes had their equaliser thanks to Harley Rutherford. With time running out and penalties seeming inevitable, Liam Wenman sealed the victory for BJFF with a superb strike in the dying minutes.

In the second round of the U12 Coulton Cup, BJFF Blades came from a goal down to win 3-1 at YMCA.

Both teams created early chances and YMCA took the lead when Spencer Phillips headed in a Josh Edwards cross in the 15th minute.

The visitors responded well to go in at the break at 1-1 and they seized the initiative in the second half.

Midway through the second half, BJFF went ahead thanks to a superb free-kick from 20 yards.

The Blades put the game beyond any doubt towards the end thanks to a fast-paced counter.

With YMCA piling bodies forward in search of an equaliser, BJFF broke and sealed the win to send them into the next round.

Despite the defeat, YMCA’s Archie Hingley and Gabriel Ward were praised for their notable performances.