Last hockey matches before lockdown for Fylde and Lytham St Annes

Fylde Hockey Club played its final matches before lockdown on Saturday and teams will not even be able to train over the next four weeks.

Tuesday, 3rd November 2020, 4:45 pm
Action from Fylde 2 v Garstang in the new Lancashire Lockdown Trophy Picture: SARAH SKELTON

It’s all the more frustrating as the ladies’ teams had just embarked on the Lancashire Lockdown Trophy, while men’s leagues had restructured to prevent teams travelling into and out of Lancashire in line with ‘Tier Three’ guidelines.

Lancashire’s top seven ladies’ teams launched the Lockdown Trophy and Fylde’s first team won 3-2 away to their Pendle Forest counterparts in the league’s first match.

Having lost to Pendle this season, Fylde were determined and took the lead with a clean strike by Hattie Madden after Beth Dowbiggin’s smooth interception.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pendle hit back to take the lead but a fired-up Fylde took control of midfield in the second half.

Hannah Cooke equalised and newcomer Pru Lindsey scored the winner after Madden’s looping shot cleared the keeper.

Fylde 2 lost their opening match in the competition 1-0 at home to the Garstang first team.

The winning goal arrived early as Fylde started shakily in high winds and torrential rain.

Both sides had chances before half-time, then Fylde had most of the play in the second half but couldn’t force an equaliser. Fylde goalkeeper Katie Barker made a series of excellent saves.

Three other ladies’ teams managed to play league games, Fylde 3 losing 4-1 away to the Lancaster University senior side in West division three.

Fylde 5 managed to play in sunshine for a change and drew 1-1 at home to Clitheroe and Blackburn 3 in Lancashire Central division one.

Clitheroe scored early but player of the match Fiona Quarmby hit an excellent equaliser.

Both sides pushed for a winner and Clitheroe had a goal ruled out for kicking the ball over the line.

Fylde 6 journeyed north to beat Lancaster 3 3-0 in division two. Again Fylde started brightly and took the lead through Hollie Whiteside, with a great assist from Carly Wilde.

Jess Addy and Sophie Finney launched several attacks and Jessie Allen scored a deft second, again set up by player of the match Wilde, who expertly scored the third herself before half-time.

Fylde had to deal with rain and a Lancaster side who came out fighting for the second half but the defence held firm.

Three Fylde Men’s teams played friendly matches, Fylde 2 losing 5-2 to the Clitheroe and Blackburn Northern first team.

It was a tough test for a youthful Fylde side against opponents from two divisions above but they led 2-1 at half-time. Simon Holt scored the first after a great counter-attack by Ryan Nicholls, then Alex Horrocks dispatched a short corner as Fylde got on top.

Fylde had chances for more goals but Clitheroe used their experience to regain the lead, which they extended as Fylde chased the game late on. Duke Jones, Hugo Mace and Tim Woodman all made their first appearance of the season for Fylde.

The Fylde 3 and 4 teams again played each other, with some first-team players joining in.

The 4s opened the scoring when James Oakes rounded the keeper after a perfect pass from Martin Stringfellow only for Jay Mayne to equalise by half-time with a reverse-stick shot.

Fylde 4 pulled clear in the second half with goals by Rob Jepson and Oakes’ second, then held on to win 3-2 after Mayne doubled his tally.

Under-16s Luke Cosgrove, Ollie Greenwood, Oscar Harkins, Luke Hitchen, Connor McClelland and Hugo Loggenberg enjoyed the experience of playing alongside first-team players.

Fylde Hockey Club Girls Under-16s made a most promising start to their England Hockey Junior Championship campaign with a 7-0 win away to Brooklands Poynton.

Play was soon concentrated in the half Fylde were attacking and Jess Cole opened the scoring from a short corner.

Fylde moved the ball well to create plenty more chances and goals by Beth Cosgrove and Laura Knowles made it 3-0 at half-time.

Player of the match Natasha Hartley-Smith, Emily Marsh and Anya Jackson held firm at the back for Fylde, who continued to force short corners and added four more goals. Amy Merrick scored with a classy aerial shot, then Jess Cole tipped the ball past the keeper.

Hennie Thompson set up Cole’s second with a great run down the right and Pru Lindsey completed the scoring.

Fylde Under-14s continued their friendly series with a 10-0 win away to Preston.

Fylde put their hard work in training into practice, using the pace of player of the match Kiera Tomes out wide, and Lisa Perry opened the scoring in an even first quarter. The second quarter was also well balanced and goalless as Fylde tried different formations.

The goals flowed in the second half as captain Layla Wholey scored a hat-trick. Jessie Allen, Lauren Appleyard and Sophie McGhie all added goals despite a strong performance from the Preston goalkeeper.

Carly Wilde provided intelligent, defence-splitting passes and was rewarded with two smart goals, including a dink over the diving keeper.

The final matches before lockdown for Lytham St Annes Hockey Club brought wins for two of the three Ladies’ teams.

The senior side faced the Lancaster first team at AKS in a new county trophy competition and attacked strongly from the start.

Lytham went close from their first short corner after five minutes but Lily Ganchi’s deflected effort rebounded off a post.

The hosts continued to press, as Aimy Barrow and Lucy Knowles linked well, but Lancaster scored from their first entry into the Lytham D and added a second.

Lytham continued to attack and pulled one back when Sophia Crawshay beat the defence from Emily Adams’ hit-out.

LSA pressed in vain for an equaliser, with some strong runs by Lara Pilling, who shared the player of the match award with Barrow

The Lytham St Annes 2 and 3 teams go into the break unbeaten in their Lancashire Central competitions.

The Seconds made it two wins out of three in the premier division with a 3-1 success away to bottom club Clitheroe and Blackburn Northern 2.

Lytham dominated play with the wind in their favour in the first half but had to be patient before breaking the deadlock when Ruby Hodgkinson swept home a Gilly Shields cross.

However, the hosts managed to equalise despite good defending by captain Samantha Read from a short corner.

LSA continued to press, with Lily Harrison playing well down the right, but it remained 1-1 at half-time.

Despite being against a brutal wind in the second half, LSA continued to attack and Shields smashed them back in front after exchanging passes with player of the match Francesca Beeby from a short corner.

Beccy Meadowcroft received a card and later left the field again to have a knee injury treated in hospital. With no more substitutes available, LSA sealed the win with Shields’ second from a short corner.

Lytham St Annes 3 are top of division two after a 7-0 victory over Garstang 4 at Ansdell Arena.

Expecting this to be their last match for a while, the LSA team were determined to enjoy it and two Poppy Bridge goals soon put them in control despite playing against the wind in the first half.

Then excellent interplay down the right between Frankie Thomas and Hannah Turner resulted in Bridge’s hat-trick goal.

Lytham’s passing around the D was much-improved and Thomas scored with a reverse-stick shot before Bridge’s fourth made it 5-0 at half-time. The hosts continued to dominate possession and Ellie McNally deservedly scored next.

Lucie McNally and Alicia Iredale both went close and it was player of the match Bridge who completed the scoring with her fifth of the game.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here