Squires Gate 1 AFC Liverpool 1

Gate shared the spoils with high-flying Liverpool in the North West Counties premier last night.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 28th August 2013, 10:23 am
Ben Fishwick congratulates Max Landless opening the scoring for Gate
Ben Fishwick congratulates Max Landless opening the scoring for Gate

Third-placed Liverpool arrived at the Royal British Legion Stadium full of confidence after their 8-0 drubbing of Wigan Robin Park and had the first chance, when striker Paul Brown shot straight at Gate keeper Ben Fletcher.

Ben Fishwick went close for the home side but his low drive was pushed round the post by the Reds’ keeper. Striker Ronnie Morgan should have opened the scoring for Liverpool but his lob went wide.

In an end-to- end open game, it was Gate who broke the deadlock when Max Landless chipped over the keeper and followed up to tap in on 29 minutes. Liverpool should have equalised with a header just before half-time but Fletcher pulled off a fine save.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

After the restart, Bamba, Fishwick and Ralph all went close to doubling Gate’s lead but Liverpool equalised on the hour with Brown’s diving header.

Both sides created chances to win the game and both keepers made fine saves.

Gate’s assistant manager Richard Thomas said: “On reflection, a draw is a good point against a side going well in the league. Now that our squad is settling down, I thought the defence looked strong.

“Our attitude and drive showed and we’ll be asking the lads for more of the same against Wigan Robin Park on Saturday.”

Dan Braid

Gate: Fletcher, Hindle, Harvie, Botham, Jakes, Churchman, Ralph, McKenna, Landless, Fishwick, Bamba; subs:Farrow, Unsworth, Roskell

n AFC Blackpool suffered a fifth defeat in six NWC premier matches despite taking the lead at fourth-placed Bootle.

James Walker put Blackpool ahead after 26 minutes but two goals in two minutes after an hour, by James Riley and William Smart, sealed a 2-1 win for the home side.