Pressley gives new boy Grant another chance to shine
Fleetwood Town new boy Thomas Grant says manager Steven Pressley has had a massive influence on his career after handing him a shock debut in Tuesday's 1-0 defeat against Walsall.
When Pressley signed the 20-year-old earlier this month until the end of the campaign he said the youngster was not immediately in his first-team plans.
But fast forward a few weeks and add into the mix injuries to Antoni Sarcevic (groin) and Jack Sowerby (knee), plus Bobby Grant’s three-match ban for violent conduct, and the Scottish midfielder has been elevated to the starting 11 after impressing for Barry Nicholson’s development side.
It is not the first time Pressley has given Grant his big break.
The former Scotland defender handed Grant his professional debut when he was manager of then Scottish First Division side Falkirk back in 2012.
But after Pressley left to take the reins at Coventry City in 2013, Grant’s career stalled and in January he was released by Falkirk.
And Grant is pleased Pressley has given him another opportunity.
He said: “(My debut) was quicker than I thought but I’ve done quite well in development and the gaffer has given me a chance.
“He gave me my debut at Falkirk at 17. He’s been a massive influence on my career because he plays the way want to play football and I enjoy working with him.
“I didn’t really get a sniff at Falkirk after the gaffer left.
“I came here in December and I just had to get out of my contract before I could come back down. The gaffer just said come down for a week and see how I got on.
“He trusts me and gave me an opportunity. It was good I enjoyed it, apart from the end result.”
Grant played the full game and says the side, who are 19th in League One and in the midst of a relegation battle, just need to score more goals.
He said: “I thought the side played well against Walsall, I’ve seen them in training and we just need goals.
“I will just keep working hard and hopefully stay in the gaffer’s thoughts.”