PDPL Coulton Plate finals report

The elite pitches at Fleetwood Town's new Poolfoot Farm training complex were the venue for the Poulton and District Primary League's Coulton Plate finals on Saturday.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 27th May 2016, 11:54 am
Updated Friday, 27th May 2016, 12:58 pm
Under-11 final action between Poulton and AFC Blackpool
Under-11 final action between Poulton and AFC Blackpool

The weather wasn’t ideal for this showpiece occasion but the players, their coaches, family and friends enjoyed a fantastic day’s football.

Captain Cod, the Fleetwood Town FC mascot, was on hand to cheer the teams on and even took part in a penalty shoot-out with Buzz, the BJFF mascot, before both were sent off by referee Terry Jackson for having oversized boots.

Following the previous weekend’s Coulton Cup finals at Fleetwood’s Highbury Stadium, these were five more memorable finals in which great sportsmanship was on show, with the losing finalists gracious in defeat.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

As for the finals, Staining Juniors had a 3-1 win over Poulton FC Blacks in the Under-nines’ event.

After a tense, tight opening, the game burst into life just before half-time.

Oliver Sproston put Staining Juniors ahead two minutes before the break, only for Michael Uhiara to level for Poulton FC Blacks just a minute later.

Jake Doherty then re-established Staining’s lead at the midway point of the second half.

As Poulton pushed for a late equaliser, Staining sealed victory in the final minutes with a second from Jake Doherty.

Staining’s Sophie Horsfall picked up the player of the match award.

Foxhall Hoops defeated South Shore Youth Reds 3-1 on penalties in the Under-10s’ final following a 2-2 draw.

South Shore opened the scoring in the sixth minute through the busy Josh Fontana.

Jack Swift equalised for Foxhall in the 19th minute to ensure the first half finished with the teams level.

Marshall McKenna restored South Shore’s lead in the 34th minute but Foxhall’s Harrison Bamber-Fitzpatrick levelled things up again four minutes later.

Neither team could find a winner before Foxhall triumphed in the shootout.

South Shore defender James Griffin received the man of the match award.

The Under-11s’ final brought a 3-1 victory for AFC Blackpool against Poulton FC.

The first half ended goalless before the second brought three goals in quick succession.

Poulton opened the scoring through Will Smith only for AFC Blackpool to equalise immediately through Joseph Hargreaves.

AFC quickly struck again to lead for the first time, Harry Turner netting.

Poulton keeper Mason Wild kept Poulton in with a chance with some fine saves, including an outstanding one from a free-kick.

William Ashworth sealed victory for AFC late on and team-mate Harry Stanley was chosen as man of the match.

Fleetwood Town Reds were 2-0 winners over BJFF Predators in the Under-12 final.

The teams had to endure heavy rain as the heavens opened just before their game began.

Neither team could find an opening as the first half ended goalless.

It looked like the stalemate was going to continue right to the end, especially as a very good Fleetwood defence, marshalled by central defender Josh Smallwood, coped with all that the Predators’ attack threw at them.

However, Jordan Beavers’ two late strikes, the first a rising shot from distance, settled the final in Fleetwood’s favour.

The two-goal hero was also named man of the match.

Wyre Juniors Blacks were also successful as they defeated Kirkham Juniors 2-1 in the Under-13s’ final.

Wyre gained the advantage in the first period, opening the scoring through Xavier Pelham.

They increased that lead with a Dan Barton goal to gmake it 2-0 at half-time.

Kirkham pushed on in the second period and got back into the game with a Marco Amin penalty.

Neither team could find another goal before the end, resulting in a Wyre triumph with Pelham named as man of the match.