Millwall 3 Blackpool 0

Pressure is mounting on Blackpool after yet another poor defeat, this time against Millwall.

Sunday, 6th March 2016, 7:56 pm
Updated Monday, 7th March 2016, 9:51 am
Blackpool's manager Neil McDonald

The Seasiders find themselves two points from safety in the League One drop zone, with three of the four teams ahead of them having a game in hand.

Neil McDonald’s men also finished the game with ten men for the third game running, as ill-discipline reared it’s head again.

It could have been so different had Uche Ikpeazu not missed a sitter after just two minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool's manager Neil McDonald

The big man met Brad Potts’ cross to head wide from just five yards, it was a chance he should have scored.

Instead the chance appeared to give the home side an early wake-up call, and one they welcomed with open arms.

On just eight minutes they found themselves ahead, when a long-throw wasn’t dealt with by Pool’s back four and Lee Gregory was allowed to nip in and head past Colin Doyle.

Millwall grew in confidence and began to dominate possession, before doubling their lead on 25.

Blackpool's manager Neil McDonald

Jed Wallace’s 25-yard free-kick somehow went right through Blackpool’s wall - with John Herron turning his back - and past Doyle into the corner.

Jack Redshaw had an effort cleared off the line on the stroke of half-time after a corner was only half-cleared, but in truth it would have been one his side didn’t really deserve.

As Neil McDonald threw on Mark Cullen in place of the ineffective Herron, Millwall almost made it three when Steve Morison’s curling effort came back off the post.

Things got worse for Pool on 76 minutes when Hayden White was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Blackpool did have the ball in the net with ten minutes left when Cullen reacted well to tap-home on the rebound from two yards, sadly the linesman’s flag was already raised.

And Pool’s misery was compounded with just seven minutes remaining when Morison scored from the spot after Aldred’s handball gifted the home side a penalty.