MATCH REPORT: Sutton United 0 AFC Fylde 0

Fylde and Sutton maintained their unbeaten starts to the National League season, though it took some heroic goalkeeping and resolute defending from both sides to preserve the deadlock.

Sunday, 26th August 2018, 9:20 am
Updated Sunday, 26th August 2018, 9:30 am
Fylde keeper Jay Lynch pulls off an outstanding save at Sutton Picture: STEVE MCLELLAN

Read More

Read More
Twin test looms for AFC Fylde

Fylde boss Dave Challinor made one change to the side that had won the previous two games, central midfielder Jim Kellermann making his debut in south London in place of Danny Philliskirk.

The first chance came after four minutes, when Fylde's James Hardy was bought down just outside the box but Danny Rowe's free-kick struck the wall.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sutton's first chance also came from a free-kick on 10 minutes, a high ball from halfway reaching Dan Wishart at the far post, though Jay Lynch denied the striker with a smart save.

The Coasters were playing some neat football in the middle as Joe Cardle, Andy Bond and the dangerous Hardy combined well but the visitors were unable to find a way past a solid Sutton defence.

The Fylde’s back-line was no less resilient and was first to every high ball into the box, with Danny Kane giving a masterclass.

However, Sutton did create the chance of the game after tidy wing play by Kenny Davis on 24 minutes. The ball fell to forward Kieron Cadogan but he managed to miss the target from six yards.

Fylde gained the upper hand as the half wore on and Rowe's pass sent Cardle through on goal after 38 minutes only for keeper Jamie Butler to rush out and save low at the attacker's feet.

Both keepers pulled off outstanding saves to ensure the half-time stalemate: Lynch and Butler brilliantly keeping efforts out of the top corner from Cadogan and Cardle respectively.

Fylde pushed for a breakthrough after the restart but defiant home defending kept chances to a minimum

Hardy found Cardle on the edge of the box after an hour but his goal-bound effort was deflected wide.

From a 72nd-minute free-kick, Sutton had the ball in the net at the third attempt after a point-blank double save from Lynch but a flag for offside cut their celebrations short.

As Fylde brought on fresh legs, the pace of Gime Touré caused problems for a tiring home defence, though a superb last-gasp tackle by Sutton captain Jamie Collins denied the substitute a clear sight of goal.

The Sutton skipper thought he had won it with a header from a stoppage-time corner but Lynch somehow clawed the ball away from the bottom corner.

The draw was a fair result and leaves both clubs among the four on 12 points, two behind early leaders Wrexham.

Another of those clubs, Harrogate, head to Fylde on Monday for a 5.15pm kick-off to be televised live by BT Sport. Tickets are still available and can be ordered via

Fylde: Lynch, Burke (Birch 77), Kane, Byrne, Francis-Angol, Croasdale, Bond, Hardy, Kellermann (Hemmings 73) ,Cardle (Toure 77), Rowe; subs not used: Griffiths, Tasdemir

Sutton: Butler, Bennett, Clough, Collins, Borainwa, Davis, Lafayette (Drinan 71), Cadogan (Wright 71), Eastmond, Wishart (Beatyman 79), Taylor; not used: Beckwith, Brown

Ref: Declan Boyne

Attendance: 1,770