MATCH REPORT: Fleetwood 1 MK Dons 4

Ryan Colclough had a ball at the seaside as his hat-trick fired MK Dons to a 4-1 victory at Highbury.

Saturday, 24th September 2016, 3:17 pm
Updated Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 2:03 pm
Fleetwood Town's Jimmy Ryan Photographer Dave Howarth/CameraSport Football - The EFL Sky Bet League One - Fleetwood Town v Oxford United - Wednesday 17th August 2016 - Highbury Stadium - Fleetwood World Copyright © 2016 CameraSport. All rights reserved. 43 Linden Ave. Countesthorpe. Leicester. England. LE8 5PG - Tel: +44 (0) 116 277 4147 - [email protected] -

The on-loan Wigan man tore Town apart on the left wing and had a hand in all four goals as Uwe Rosler’s men slipped to their first home league defeat of the campaign.

Colclough opened the scoring in the ninth minute as he smashed the ball through a crowd of bodies and into the bottom corner in the ninth minute.

The Dons made it 2-0 in the 61st minute as Colclough steamed into the box from the left, he was robbed by Town full-back Conor McLaughlin but the loose ball fell to Dean Bowditch who knocked the ball past Jimmy Ryan who tripped him in the box.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The referee pointed to the spot and Bowditch fired the ball past Neal.

It was 3-0 seven minutes later as Colclough once again excelled on the left as he galloped into the box and with just Ryan and Chris Neal to beat rocketed the ball under Neal.

Town rallied and got a goal back a minute later as Bobby Grant’s effort flew in after David Martin’s dreadful attempt to palm the ball away.

But the Dons went on to add another in the 90th minute as Martyn Woolford tripped George Baldock in the box and Colclough stepped up to fire home the spot-kick and complete his hat-trick.

Before kick-off Rosler made two changes to the side that lost 2-1 at Rochdale.

Victor Nirennold was not even in the squad as he was dropped in favour of Ryan who had returned from his mystery knock and Ashley Hunter came in for Devante Cole who moved to the bench.

David Ball should have given Town an early lead as he beat the offside trap to get into the six-yard box and connect with Hunter’s right wing cross but he nodded the ball over the bar.

And Town were punished for not taking the chance moments later as the Dons took the lead.

Colclough stormed down the left and cut back on himself before curling the ball round McLaughlin and through a crowd of bodies into the bottom corner.

Bobbt Grant was lucky to sta on the pitch after an off the ball tussle with Agard.

Rosler ended up kicking an advertising board in frustration after firstly Jimmy Ryan wasted a free-kick in a plum position by giving the ball straight back to the opposition and Grant ‘s set-piece from just outside the box flew harmlessly to safety.

Long worryingly trudged off down the dug out early in the 28th minute with what is presumed to be a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

It was a dull first half for the Cod Army but Nathan Pond nearly got Town back into the game as his header from Ball’s right wing corner kissed the topside of the bar and rolled over in the 44th minute.

Colclough blasts the ball straight into Neal and then Pond mops up the rebound

Pond passed it back to Neal, he picked it up and the referee awarded a free-kick in the box but fortuantley it came to nothing.

The opening stages

McLaughlin managed to nip the ball off Colclough’s toes after he had steamed into the box from the left but the loose ball fell to Bowditch who drew a foul from Ryan in the box as he rolled the ball past the midfielder who could not move as the striker drove past him.

Bowditch dusted himself down to step up and fire the spot-kick down the middle in the 61st minute.

Hunter booked for a late challenge on Darren Potter and that was his last action as Rosler brought on the fresh legs of Cole in the 63rd minute.

Grant’s set-piece just needed a touch as it just flew past McLaughlin, Eastham and a hoard of red and white shirts.

Colclough made it three as he galloped down the left again and with only Jimmy Ryan in front of him arrowed the ball under Neal in the 68th minute.

But Fleetwood managed to reply immediately as McLaughlin rolled the ball back to Grant on the edge of the box and butter fingers keeper Martin could only parry the ball into the net in the 69th minute.

It should have been 3-2 seconds later as substitute Cole found himself one-on-one but could only poke the ball wide of the left stick.

The Dons’ star man Colclough was booked for simulation just outside the box after he dramatically tumbled under pressure from Pond

Grant curled one straight down Martin’s throat and Jakubiak curled the ball just over as the clock ticked towards full-time.

George Baldock was brought down in the box by Woolford and the referee pointed to the spot once again.

Colclough stepped up and completed his hat-trick with ease as he coolly slotted the ball past Neal.

Grant summed up Town’s day at the office as he curled the ball way off target.

Fleetwood: Neal, McLaughlin, Pond, Eastham, Bell, Dempsey (Woolford, 68), Ryan, Grant, Hunter (Cole, 63), Long (Jakubiak, 28), Ball. Subs not used: Cairns, Jonsson, Bolger, Duckworth.

MK Dons: Martin, Baldock, Lewington, Walsh, Upson, Potter, Bowditch (Carruthers, 73) Agard, Downing, Maynard, Colclough (G C Williams, 90). Subs not used: Reeves, G B Williams, Hendry, Nicholls, Tshimanga.

Referee: Robert Jones (Merseyside)

Attendance: 2518 (Away 247)