Match report: Doncaster Rovers 3 Blackpool 3

Blackpool made it four points in a week as they came from behind three times to claim a point at the Keepmoat Stadium.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 19th August 2017, 6:05 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 12:36 pm
Sean Longstaff scored Blackpool's first goal
Sean Longstaff scored Blackpool's first goal

Gary Bowyer’s players passed a stern test of character as superb finishes from Sean Longstaff and Oli Turton, as well as Callum Cooke’s precise effort, yielded a point.

Bowyer had made two changes to the side which defeated MK Dons at Bloomfield Road last time out.

In came Will Aimson and Kyle Vassell with Bright Osayi-Samuel and Viv Solomon-Otabor dropping to the bench.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

A change of line-up also meant a return to the 3-5-2 formation deployed by the Seasiders at Bradford City on the opening day of the season.

Again, as on that day, they began in encouraging fashion with Longstaff flicking an early effort at goal after Turton had found space.

However, the home side got on the front foot and were quickly closing down the Seasiders whenever they had possession.

Danny Andrew was a particular threat down the left-hand side, even if the end product didn’t match what had gone before.

Andrew fired off target from 25 yards before Blackpool’s best attack of the opening 20 minutes ended in a substitution.

A Rovers corner was cleared and Vassell played Cullen in behind the covering defence.

However, just as he got to the 18-yard line and was about to shoot, he fell to the ground clutching his hamstring.

That brought Cooke into the fray in a supporting role behind Vassell, though it meant Pool missed Cullen’s pace on the break.

Liam Mandeville headed wide of the Blackpool upright but the visitors should have perhaps taken the lead when Clark Robertson headed narrowly off target from Jimmy Ryan’s free-kick.

Rovers celebrated that let-off when they took the lead eight minutes before half-time as Rowe’s 25-yarder cannoned back off the bar and rebounded into the net off Ben Allsop.

The match was levelled seconds later; from the kick-off, Longstaff fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner of Ian Lawlor’s goal from just outside the area.

Then, just as it looked like Blackpool would be level at the break, they fell behind in added time.

Curtis Tilt headed the ball clear but it was helped back into the penalty area and Marquis hooked home from six yards.

With referee Robert Jones managing to annoy both benches thanks to some interesting decision making, Pool made it 2-2 on 65 minutes with the first of three goals in a dozen minutes.

Turton cut in from the right-hand side and curled an unstoppable left-footed effort into Lawlor’s top right-hand corner.

Vassell missed a great chance to make it 3-2, firing wide of goal, before Alfie May capitalised on Robertson’s error to score from close range on 75 minutes.

As in the first half, however, Blackpool hit back within moments as the ball was laid back to Cooke and he calmly sidefooted past Lawlor.

There was still time for Marquis and Rowe to have shots blocked by the Blackpool backline, and for Allsop to push away May’s long-range effort, as honours ended even.

Doncaster Rovers: Lawlor, Mason, Butler, Wright, Andrew, Whiteman, Blair, Rowe, Coppinger (Kongolo 72), Marquis, Mandeville (May 59). Subs not used: Marosi, Alcock, Garratt, Ben Khemis, Williams.

Blackpool: Allsop, Aimson, Robertson, Tilt, Turton, Longstaff, Ryan, Daniel, Anderton (Solomon-Otabor 66), Vassell (Osayi-Samuel 89), Cullen (Cooke 20). Subs not used: Williams, Taylor, Clayton, Delfouneso.

Referee: Robert Jones.

Attendance: 7,558.