MATCH REPORT: Blackpool 2-0 Kidderminster

Blackpool eased through to the second round of the FA Cup with a comfortable 2-0 win against non-league Kidderminster Harriers.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 6th November 2016, 1:48 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 5:02 pm
Jamille Matt opened the scoring against his former side.
Jamille Matt opened the scoring against his former side.

The Seasiders weren’t at their best but were clinical in front of goal in a game played in front of a sparse crowd at Bloomfield Road.

The National League North side deserve credit for their battling performance, but rarely threatened Sam Slocombe in the Blackpool goal.

Former Kiddy man Jamille Matt opened the scoring with a smart header, with Brad Potts doubling the lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The two first half goals were enough to separate the two sides and see Blackpool enter the hat for the second round draw.

The game started in a lacklustre fashion, with neither side creating a chance of note for the opening 20 minutes.

In fact, Kidderminster had a foothold of the game in the early stages but were unable to threaten Sam Slocombe in the Pool goal.

Blackpool’s first real venture into the Kidderminster box resulted in the opening goal, with former Kidderminster man Jamille Matt nodding in from Kyle Vassell’s cross.

He was afforded far too much space in the six-yard box as his header found the bottom corner.

The visitors were keen for a quick response and centre back Keith Lowe almost found the back of the net, after a corner rebounded to the skipper who saw his shot well blocked from close range.

Blackpool were then struck a blow when goalscorer Matt was forced off with injury, and was replaced by Danny Philliskirk.

The lead was doubled by Brad Potts, who crashed in a volley into the top corner at the second attempt after being played in by Jim McAlister.

Blackpool should have netted their third with the final action of the first half, but substitute Danny Philliskirk’s poor form in front of goal continued with a gilt-edged miss from 10 yards out, side footing wide of goal.

Blackpool were straight onto the front foot in the start of the second half when Michael Cain curled just wide from 25 yards out.

The Leicester loanee went close again minutes later when his looping volley from the edge of the box was well palmed away by Hornby.

The visitors were close to getting themselves back into the game when the home side failed to clear their lines in their own box, but striker Emmanuel Dieseurvwe could only drill across the goalmouth.

A superb Eddie Nolan thwarted Kiddy’s Arthur Gnahoua as he took advantage of a fortunate deflection which fell for him on the edge of the box.

The Harriers pressed in the final stages to get back into the game but Blackpool were rarely threatened.

Blackpool: Slocombe, Mellor, Nolan, Robertson, Taylor, Potts, McAlister, Cain, Yeates (Daniel), Vassell (Cullen), Matt (Philliskirk)

Subs not used: Boney, Aimson, Osayi-Samuel, Gnanduillet.

Kidderminster: Hornby, Williams, Francis-Angol (Truslove), Carter, Lowe, Tunnicliffe, Waite, McQuilkin, Dieseruvwe, Ngwatala (Brown), Gnahoua (Austin)

Subs not used: Stambolziev, Evans, Palmer.

Referee: Martin Coy

Attendance: 1,963