MATCH REPORT: Blackpool 1-0 Charlton

Jimmy Ryan's stoppage time winner handed Blackpool their first home win in over five months as the Seasiders claimed a richly deserved win against play-off hopefuls Charlton Athletic.

Tuesday, 13th March 2018, 7:16 pm
Updated Tuesday, 13th March 2018, 10:45 pm
Jimmy Ryan got the all-important goal in stoppage time

The Seasiders looked to be heading for their 11th straight game at Bloomfield Road without a win despite a dominant display against an unadventurous Charlton side.

Pool enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and forced 15 corners in a one-sided performance, but their end product was once again found wanting as a glut of chances came and went.

That was until the first minute of stoppage time when skipper Ryan drilled home into the far corner to hand Blackpool a vital three points.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The victory moves Blackpool up to 14th, but more importantly it means they are seven points clear of the League One dropzone.

However, one negative for Blackpool was a nasty injury suffered by Nathan Delfouneso who was rushed to hospital after suffering a clash of heads in the first half.

Despite losing 3-0 to league leaders Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, Blackpool manager Gary Bowyer opted to name an unchanged side to take on the Addicks.

It meant Jay Spearing was fit enough to start despite being withdrawn at Ewood Park with a twinge to his hamstring.

Callum Cooke, meanwhile, recovered from a heel injury to take his spot on the bench.

Kelvin Mellor missed out again with an ankle injury - the extent of which is still unknown.

Charlton, still in the hunt for the League One play-offs, made four changes after losing 4-1 at Peterborough United at the weekend.

The game started at a pedestrian pace and we had to wait 10 minutes for either side to reach the opposition’s box.

But it was Blackpool who eventually made the stronger start, putting the Charlton backline under pressure thanks to a superb cross from Nathan Delfouneso that the visitors did well to clear.

It was also the Seasiders who had the first attempt on goal, a close-range header from Curtis Tilt who got on the end of Jimmy Ryan’s corner only to see his effort deflected wide of goal.

Charlton responded with a chance of their own as Ben Reeves was found at the back post, but the midfielder could only send his shot straight at Joe Lumley in the Blackpool goal.

The game was stopped for almost 10 minutes after Nathan Delfouneso was floored by a nasty clash of heads with Lewis Page, which saw the forward stretchered off and replaced by Danny Philliskirk.

Delfouneso was unmoved for the duration of the time he was being treated on the pitch before being applauded off the pitch where he was then rushed to hospital.

With the action eventually back underway, Kyle Vassell delivered a great cross on the turn only for the Addicks to clear away under pressure.

Blackpool continued to be the side in the ascendancy in the opening period and looking the more likely to make something happen, but again failed to find that killer touch.

Skipper Jimmy Ryan was the next player to get a shot off at goal after playing a quick one-two with Sean Longstaff, only to see his effort fly well wide of goal.

Ben Amos was tested for the first time when Philliskirk unleashed a dipping volley from the edge of the box, but the Charlton keeper was equal to it and tipped it over the bar.

The following corner brought another chance for Tilt, who again saw his deflected header loop just over and onto the roof of the net.

Vassell frustratingly failed to test the keeper after breaking free of the Charlton defence before bearing down on goal and shooting across Amos and wide.

Charlton came close to breaking the deadlock with three good opportunities in the 12 minutes of first-half stoppage time; Michal Zyro first heading straight at Lumley at the back post before Jake Forster-Caskey was inches away from finding the top corner with a volley on the turn.

Zyro then headed wastefully over the bar when he was found unmarked inside the six-yard box, in what was probably the clearest opportunity of the half.

The Seasiders continued where they left off from their dominant first-half display with a bright start to the second period, Solomon-Otabor just being crowded out after being played in down the left.

Charlton remained a threat whenever they ventured forward and came close through Northern Ireland international Josh Magennis, who directed his diving header wide.

Vassell was teed up for another presentable chance by Philliskirk, but once again he failed to test Amos as he drilled past the post.

Pool almost broke the deadlock through an unusual source as Ollie Turton tried his luck on his weak foot on the edge of the box, but Amos got a strong hand to his effort and tipped it over the bar.

Tilt remained an aerial threat all evening and he went close for a third time, nodding towards the goalline at the back post only for Naby Sarr to stab away from danger.

It looked like Blackpool would be forced to settle for a point but they got that goal their performance deserved in stoppage time.

It came via skipper Jimmy Ryan, who drilled into the bottom corner after Charlton had failed to clear their lines.

Blackpool: Lumley, Turton, Tilt, Robertson, Daniel, Ryan, Spearing, Longstaff (D'Almeida), Solomon-Otabor, Delfouneso (Philliskirk), Vassell (Agyei)

Subs not used: Mafoumbi, Aimson, Cooke, Gnanduillet

Charlton: Amos, Page (Sarr), Bauer, Pearce, Reeves, Fosu, Konsa, Forster-Caskey, Solly (Aribo), Zyr0 (Marshall), Magennis

Subs not used: Maynard-Brewer, Lennon, Jackson, Ajose

Referee: Trevor Kettle

Attendance: 3,216 (264)