Match report: Barnton 0 Squires Gate 7

Squires Gate picked up their biggest win of the season with a 7-0 thumping of bottom side Barnton.

Thursday, 29th March 2018, 12:46 am
Updated Thursday, 29th March 2018, 12:55 am
Squires Gate's Isaac Sinclair sees a shot blocked Picture: Albert Cooper

The win kept Gate’s winning run going, extending their run to four victories in a row to virtually secure their place in the league next season.

Barnton had their keeper to thank twice in the first five minutes as he denied Isaac Sinclair before keeping out a fierce Gary Pett shot.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Gate’s determination would see them finally take the lead after 17 minutes as Pett had the easiest of tap-ins at the back post from Scott Harries’ cross.

Pett again went close from a short free-kick before Gate doubled their lead with another easy goal after 27 minutes.

Ryan Riley’s chip over the keeper looked to be going in but Sinclair made sure at the back post and fired in.

Pett could have scored his second goal of the game just before half-time, but he fired over from inside the box.

Pett would, however, get his second of the game six minutes into the second half.

He muscled off a defender to reach a ball over the top before firing past the keeper.

The goals would continue as substitute Ryan Charnley got in on the act with one of his first touches after coming on, turning home Sinclair’s cross.

Another sub would grab a goal as 16-year-old Finley Clarkson scored his first for the club, converting Harries’ cross at the back post.

Gate had another goal waved away as Pett’s header was judged to be offside before the home keeper saved a Charnley thunderbolt, while Harries came within inches of adding his name to the scoresheet.

Sinclair was the next to score, adding his second of the night after being denied on several occasions.

Ben Fletcher sent a goal kick to the winger, who found a team-mate before being sent away and making no mistake, cutting inside and firing beyond the Barnton keeper.

The scoring was completed late into the second half when a lovely crossfield ball found Charnley, who took it down before curling a shot past the keeper for his second of the game.