Hanley Town 1 Squires Gate 3: Second-half goals ensure three points

Squires Gate made it three wins from three on Saturday afternoon with a 3-1 victory at struggling Hanley Town.

By Mark Ashmore
Sunday, 15th March 2020, 5:00 pm
Squires Gate's James Boyd     Picture: Albert Cooper
Squires Gate's James Boyd Picture: Albert Cooper

With many games postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Gate were looking to capitalise on what could be their last game for a while.

Manager Luke Evans welcomed Ryan Dodd into the side in place of Ryan Riley, who was unavailable for selection.

Cameron Gourley was also available after picking up a knock during Tuesday night’s win against Barnoldswick Town.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

After a tight start to the game, it was the hosts who led after eight minutes.

From a long throw, Martin Stanyer flicked the ball to the back post where Daniel Needham arrived late to slide the ball in.

Jack Iley was sent through minutes later as he looked to level for Gate but his shot from 15 yards out was easily saved by home keeper Dominic Kurasik.

Iley also headed over a cross from the right-hand side before Hanley went close to doubling their lead as Needham poked the ball wide.

Gate’s James Boyd looked to add another goal to his tally on the half-hour mark but, having twisted and turned on the edge of the box, he shot over as they trailed at half-time.

Dodd had their first chance of the second period as Evans’ men looked for an equaliser.

His effort from 15 yards was pushed away by the keeper, into the path of Dean Ing who miscontrolled.

At the other end, Gate keeper Jordan Gidley was forced to tip over Jonathan Higham’s effort from long range.

Gate got themselves back on level terms in the 56th minute when Declan Baldwin was fouled inside the box and the referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Boyd stepped up to equalise and continue his impressive goalscoring run.

The hosts saw Stanyer denied by an offside flag before Gate started to turn on the style.

They took the lead in the 63rd minute when they burst forward and found Boyd on the left-hand side, where he crossed for Dodd to volley in from 20 yards out.

Iley was sent through one-on-one, only to be thwarted by the advancing Kurasik, while Oliver Mellor fired over the Gate bar after Stanyer and Timothy Sanders had combined.

However, a scuffle inside the penalty area ended with Hanley reduced to 10 men and Gate made their numerical advantage count.

They sealed the three points on 82 minutes when Luke Holden scored his first goal for the club.

A free-kick found the defender at the back post for a header that went in off the crossbar.

Gate are next due to be in action on Saturday when they host Padiham at The Brian Addison Stadium.

Squires Gate: Gidley, Gourley, Higham, Holden, Westwood, Dodd, Turner, Baldwin, Boyd, Ing, Iley. Subs: Farnworth, Johanson, Pollard, Hudson, Garrett.