Grant targets Town success after signing new deal
He's just put pen to paper on a new two-year deal and now Fleetwood midfielder Bobby Grant hopes this progressive Town team can achieve something special this season.
Grant joined the club in 2015 from neighbours Blackpool and scored a goal in Town’s win over Crewe which kept them in League One and relegated the Seasiders on the final day of last season.
Now he’s playing his part in a historic season for Uwe Rosler’s Town, who are third with eight to play and visit Bury on Saturday.
The 26-year-old’s contract was set to expire at the end of this campaign but Grant has committed his future to Highbury until 2019 and says he is ecstatic to sign a fresh deal.
He said: “I’m very happy to be part of what we are creating here. I spoke to the manager recently and to (technical director) Gretar Steinsson and to the chairman (Andy Pilley). It got sorted in the last couple of days.
“The dressing room this year has been fantastic. We have a close dressing room and you can probably see that on the pitch.
“I’ve really enjoyed coming to work. When you’re playing week in, week out as a footballer you can’t ask for any more and that’s down to the manager giving me a chance. I feel I’ve performed well enough to be in the team.
“As a club, we’re moving forward and fingers crossed we can achieve something as a team. I’ve signed a contract now and I’m really looking forward to the future.”
It is understood that top scorer David Ball, injured midfielder Jimmy Ryan and Northern Ireland international Conor McLaughlin, who are all out of contract this summer, have also been offered new deals but are yet to accept.
The club have yet to reveal whether midfielder George Glendon will be in the squad this weekend.
The 21-year-old, who has been charged with rape in the Grimsby area in February last year – before he joined Fleetwood from Manchester City – is due to appear at Grimsby Crown Court next month for a plea and trial preparation hearing.