Coasters’ win moves them to second

Langley - scored in the first halfLangley - scored in the first half
Langley - scored in the first half
AFC Fylde 3, Leamington 1

AFC Fylde moved up to second in the Vanarama Conference North and within two points of league-leaders Barrow thanks to an excellent 3-1 victory over struggling Leamington.

Josh Langley scored the only goal of the first half and that lead was doubled by a blistering strike from Danny Rowe 14 minutes into the second and even though Jordan Goodard pulled one back with ten minutes to go Danny Lloyd made sure of the win in the final minute.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Coasters dominated the first half and should have led by more than the single goal at the break with the amount of chances they had. Richie Allen saw a shot deflected over the bar inside the first minute before Joe Booth and Josh Wilson saw headers saved by Lewis Feeney.

Wilson could only watch as another of his strikes sailed into Feeney’s arms on ten minutes and soon after an excellent passing move between Lloyd, Allen and Rowe saw Rowe’s strike blocked by a defender.

Another strike from Wilson was saved before Lloyd shot over and wide within minutes and Booth was very unlucky to see a fine volley fly just over the bar – all this before 30 minutes was on the clock.

Feeney was on hand to deny Wilson for a third time and with 34 minutes gone a defender managed to clear a trickling ball off his line with all Coasters players and fans behind the goal claiming it had crossed the line.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But within a minute of getting booked on half way, Langley fired the ball in the back of the Leamington net after a corner wasn’t dealt with and Fylde had a deserved lead on 36 minutes.

Three minutes later Lloyd couldn’t beat Feeney and on the stroke of half time Rowe sent an effort curling the wrong side of the post.

The visitors started the second period well and tried to take the game to their hosts as Danny Newton forced a save from Ben Hinchliffe as did Goddard from a free-kick a few minutes later.

But, almost from nothing, Fylde broke which allowed the ball to be fed to Rowe who blasted the ball into the top corner from all of 35 yards which Feeney had no chance of stopping to double Fylde’s lead on the hour.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Allen then had the ball in the back of the net four minutes later but his effort was chalked off for offside from Lloyd’s cross. Another excellent cross from Lloyd saw Allen with the goal at his mercy but he slipped as he went for the ball and sent it wide from close range.

Jamie Tank almost pulled one back with a header which was sent wide on 77 minutes but with ten minutes to a poor clearance from Hinchliffe allowed Goddard to lob over a crowded box and score from the edge of the area.

Despite that set-back Fylde still went on the attack for further goals and they were rewarded in the final minute when Lloyd was on hand to nod home a rebound into an enmpty net from eight yards.