Coasters clear at the top again

AFC Fylde 3, Boston United 0

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 18th February 2015, 8:09 am
Lloyd - scored a screamer
Lloyd - scored a screamer

AFC Fylde halted their run of four successive defeats to surge back to the top of the Vanarama Conference North with a comprehensive win over at Kellamergh Park.

A Danny Lloyd screamer after just eight minutes was augmented by an own goal from Mark Jones nine minutes later to give Fylde a commanding lead before Richie Allen added the icing to the cake deep into injury time.

The Coasters were gunning for an early goal, and after Ben Hinchliffe comfortably gathered a high cross from Liam Marrs, Lloyd smashed in the opening goal after just eight minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Lloyd collected the initial ball 30 yards out and exchanged passes with Danny Rowe on the edge of the box before blasting a left-footed strike through Sam Vince’s outstretched fingers.

It could have been 2-0 just two minutes later, when another vicious strike from Lloyd ricocheted off Rowe and wide from a tight angle.

But the second goal did come on 17 minutes, when Adam Sumner’s looping free-kick was knocked on by Rowe for Mark Jones to divert the ball it into his own net.

Carl Piergianni, who scored two goals in Boston’s 3-1 win over Fylde in Lincolnshire, headed an out-swingning corner wide four minutes later, his side’s first real attempt on goal.

The visitors finally managed to get into the game on the half-hour, and Marc Newsham should have capitalised on a poor touch by Tom Hannigan 30 yards out but his strike was safely gathered by Hinchliffe.

Jones nearly made amends for his own goal with a header in the right direction but 
again Hinchliffe was untroubled.

Fylde’s Bradley Barnes could count himself lucky to stay on the pitch after a dangerous sliding tackle left Kyle Dixon on the ground holding his shin six minutes before the break.

The Coasters started the second half brightly and enjoyed plenty of possession without creating clear-cut chances.

Boston continued to be frustrated by man of the match keeper Hinchliffe.

First Piergianni’s shot almost sneaked under the keeper, who then rushed out to clear the ball from Zac Mills’ feet on 71 minutes.

Piergianni then missed another chance from a corner, this time heading over the bar.

The unbeatable Hinchliffe came out to save at the feet of Nick Walker on the edge of the box after Fylde’s defence was split open once again.

With five minutes remaining, centre-half Piergianni was booked and Lloyd smacked the resulting free-kick into the wall.

Substitute Allen then tried to find a route to goal and eventually did so, having failed to take two less difficult chances.

Allen rounded Vince and slotted home three minutes into stoppage time.

Gate have moved a point above Barrow at the top and still have a game in hand as they prepare to visit Hyde on Saturday.