MATCH REPORT: Crawley 1-0 Blackpool

editorial image
Have your say

A mistake from Blackpool goalkeeper Dean Lyness gifted Crawley a 1-0 win in a tight and edgy game at the Broadfield Stadium.

Midway through the second half, Crawley defender Mark Connolly bundled the ball home from close range after Lyness had failed to deal with a cross that deflected onto his goalline.

The ‘keeper, and his manager Gary Bowyer, both appealed for a foul but their shouts fell on deaf ears.

The two sides had exchanged a number of chances in what was an end-to-end yet scrappy first half, with both sides wasteful in front of goal.

The hosts were almost ahead inside the opening minute of the game when Billy Clifford volleyed just wide of Dean Lyness’ goal from inside the area.

Blackpool then created their first opportunity of the game, Kyle Vassell nodding narrowly wide when well placed at the back post.

On eight minutes, Crawley’s Adi Yussuf fired wildly over the bar after the ball fell fortunately for him and he found himself through on goal.

The two sides continued to exchange chances as Danny Philliskirk disappointingly headed straight at ‘keeper Glenn Morris after a superb cross from Jack Payne.

Billy Clifford, who caused plenty of problems for Pool’s backline, again turned provider for Yussuf, with the striker seeing his header palmed wide by Lyness.

Frenchman Armand Gnanduillet then saw a header from Jack Payne’s lofted ball fall wide of the post.

Midway through the opening period, Andy Taylor was forced off after suffering a nosebleed following an aerial challenge.

His replacement Colin Daniel found himself straight into the action, providing a teasing ball across the six-yard box that went begging, with Armand Gnanduillet and his strike partner Vassell waiting for the pull back.

Good hold-up play from Gnanduillet allowed Brad Potts the chance to break down the right, only to see his pull-back blocked with a last-ditch tackle.

After a slight lull in the game, Daniel was caught on the edge of his own box by Yussuf who fired well over.

Crawley’s James Collins then curled inches wide of Lyness’ bottom corner.

A priceless chance for Blackpool to take the lead in first-half injury time went begging as Philliskirk’s left-footed shot sailed inches wide of the post following superb skill from Vassell in the build-up.

Blackpool began the first half on the front foot, pressing high up the pitch and condensing the midfield.

Kyle Vassell’s good work saw Mark Connolly booked after being caught in possession by the Pool front man.

Winger Enzio Boldewijn found himself through on goal after evading Kelvin Mellor’s last-ditch tackle, only to fire straight at Lyness in the Pool goal.

Gnanduillet thought he had broken the deadlock when his curling effort from outside the box looked to be heading for the top corner, only to be turned away by Morris.

But it was the hosts who opened the scoring just a minute later, when defender Mark Connolly nodded in virtually on the goalline after Lyness failed to deal with a deflected cross.

The Blackpool ‘keeper claimed to have been fouled but the referee stood motionless as the ball was bundled into the back of the net.

Blackpool reverted to going a lot more direct in the final stages of the game as they pressed for an equaliser, but Matt and Gnanduillet struggled to strike up a connection.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Potts headed wide at the far post from a Jack Payne free kick.

The away fans behind the goal were appealing for a penalty in the dying stages when Bright Osayi-Samuel when down in the box, but nothing was given.

The Seasiders launched plenty of long balls, free kicks, corners and throw ins into the Crawley box but the hosts dealt with them well, seeing out the game for a 1-0 win.

Crawley: Morris, Young, Connolly, McNerney, Blackman, Smith, Djalo, Boldewijn (Bawling), Clifford (Davey), Yussuf (Banton), Collins

Subs: Beeney, Arthur, Davey, Banton, Bawling, Tajbakhsh, Pappoe

Blackpool: Lyness, Mellor, Aldred, Aimson, Taylor (Daniel), Philliskirk (Osayi-Samuel), Payne, McAlister, Potts, Vassell (Matt), Gnanduillet

Subs: Boney, Cain, Daniel, Yeates, Osayi-Samuel, Cullen, Matt.

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Attendance: 2,300