MATCH REPORT: Accrington 2-1 Blackpool

Furious boss Gary Bowyer
Furious boss Gary Bowyer
Have your say

A cruel injury time goal handed Accrington Stanley a controversial 2-1 win against local neighbours Blackpool.

Blackpool appeared to be heading for all three points when substitute Michael Cain curled in a late free-kick.

The youngster, on as a substitute, curled in the set piece around the wall and into the bottom corner with just ten minutes left on the clock.

But with just three minutes on the clock, referee Andy Haines awarded Accrington a mysterious penalty which Rommy Boco put away.

And in the final minute of injury time, Boco tapped in from close range after a cross in from the right fell to him.

In a scrappy start to the game, Jamille Matt produced the first opportunity with a snapshot from inside the area, which was comfortably saved by Elliot Parish in the Accrington goal.

Blackpool continued to make most of the early running, with Brad Potts breaking well down the right flank following Matt’s flick-on, only to see his cross into the box well cleared.

Potts found himself in the thick of the action once again after managing to break through the middle, only to see his shot from range superbly tipped around the post.

As the half grew on, Accrington began to see more of the ball and even had the ball in the back of the net only for Sean McConville’s effort to be ruled out for offside.

Matt, taking Armand Gnanduillet’s spot in the side, then had another good chance to break the deadlock only to see his volley on the turn easily saved by Parish.

Stanley striker Terry Gornell was afforded plenty of space in the Pool box but his free header from Scott Brown’s cross was headed a yard or so wide of the goal.

Potts also rose highest in the Stanley area but flashed a header wide of the post from Andy Taylor’s corner.

The rest of the half fizzled out as both sides struggled to create any clear opportunities on goal.

Blackpool then had two chances in quick succession, with Kyle Vassell firing wide of the far post before Jamille Matt was denied at close range.

A former Pool legend entered the fray to a superb ovation from the away fans, with Gary Taylor-Fletcher coming on to replace Terry Gornell up front for Accrington.

The visitors thought they had taken the lead when Kelvin Mellor’s header looked destined for the back of the net, only for it to be ruled out with Kyle Vassell getting a final touch in an offside position.

Sam Slocombe was called into action to palm away a Sean McConville effort, who had cut inside his man.

That man Taylor-Fletcher then headed wide of goal from close range, when he looked odds on to net against his former side.

However, the deadlock was finally broken by substitute Michael Cain. With Accrington expecting last week’s hero Andy Taylor to take a set piece 30 yards from goal, Cain stepped up and curled in an effort into the bottom corner.

The goal sent the Pool fans into raptures as the players celebrated in front of the away end.

But Blackpool were pegged back on 87 minutes when Accrington were gifted a penalty. Referee Andy Haines pointed to the spot after Tom Aldred was adjudged to have pushed Rommy Boco at the near post, despite there being no appeals from Stanley's players or fans.

Despite Sam Slocombe getting a strong hand to the penalty, Rommy Boco's spot kick got his side back on level terms.

And amazingly, Stanley snatched all three points when Boco tapped in at the far post in the final minute of the game.

Accrington: Parish, Vyner (McCartan), Beckles, Pearson, Donacien, McConville, Brown, Conneely, O'Sullivan (Boco), Clark, Gornell (Taylor-Fletcher)

Subs not used: Hughes, Jones, Lacey, McCartan, Chapman

Blackpool: Slocombe, Mellor, Aldred, Robertson, Taylor, Daniel, McAlister (Cain), Payne, Potts, Vassell (Gnanduillet), Matt (Cullen)

Subs not used: Boney, Aimson, Yeates, Philliskirk

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 2,754 (1,062)