FA launches investigation into incident at Newport

Rodney Parade, Newport
Rodney Parade, Newport
Have your say

The Football Association has confirmed it will investigate Saturday’s incident where Blackpool manager Gary Bowyer claims missiles were thrown at him, his players and his staff by Newport County fans.

The Pool boss said he was struck on the lip by a hard-boiled sweet thrown at him from a group of fans housed just behind the away dugout at Rodney Parade.

It was also claimed other objects including bottles were thrown in their direction as they celebrated Bright Osayi-Samuel’s clinching goal in the final minute of stoppage time during Pool’s 3-1 win.

Bowyer was left furious about the incident and was seen remonstrating with stewards, police and club officials after the final whistle.

The FA has since confirmed to The Gazette it has opened an investigation into the matter while Newport County AFC confirmed a 13-year-old boy has been arrested and charged for throwing an object into the technical area.

Newport County AFC have released the following statement: "Newport County AFC commenced a full investigation immediately following the game on Saturday into the incidents which occurred during the 95th minute of the club's EFL League Two match versus Blackpool FC, during which time objects were thrown from the Hazel Stand into the technical area.

"In the past 48 hours the club has consulted with a variety of bodies and witnesses related to the incident which have included Rodney Parade’s Safety & Stewarding Team, Gwent Police, Blackpool FC, Newport County AFC Supporters, The FA and the EFL.

READ MORE: Pool boss left furious after being 'struck' by objects

"At this moment in time the club can confirm that a 13-year-old boy has been arrested and charged for throwing an object into the technical area and consequently will face a club ban.

"The club recognises that more than one individual threw objects into the technical area and therefore wishes to appeal to any witnesses to come forward by emailing office@newport-county.co.uk. Such behaviour will not be tolerated by the club and shall result in relevant bans.

"The incident has tarnished the exceptional work carried out by the stewards and medical team connected to Rodney Parade, whose quick and effective actions saved the life of a club volunteer who was taken extremely ill midway through the second half of the match in the Bisley Stand.

"Paramedics on three occasions had to bring back to life club volunteer Barrie who is a regular helper in the club's hospitality suite and an attender of County games since the 1950s.

"The club wishes to take the opportunity to thank everyone involved in the incident which resulted in the redistribution of medical personnel, stewards and police who were preparing the stadium for emergency evacuation when the incidents in the 95th minute occurred.

"The club would like to wish Barrie a speedy recovery and look forward to welcoming him back to Rodney Parade in the near future."

The incident spoiled what was a vital win for the Seasiders, who secured all three points courtesy of a Bright Osayi-Samuel brace and a Mark Cullen penalty.

Pool were forced to withstand a late barrage of pressure in the final stages after reducing the arrears to 2-1, but jubilant scenes ensued at the final whistle when Osayi-Samuel chased the length of the field to tap home after latching onto his own clearance.