Delfouneso on the mend but can't remember horrific injury

Nathan Delfouneso is carried off the field on Tuesday Picture: CAMERASPORT
Nathan Delfouneso is carried off the field on Tuesday Picture: CAMERASPORT

Nathan Delfouneso says he has no recollection of Tuesday night’s horror clash of heads that led to him being rushed to hospital.

Don’t miss the latest football news and gossip from leagues in England, Scotland and Europe with

The 27-year-old had to be stretchered off during Blackpool’s 1-0 win against Charlton Athletic, having collided with Lewis Page.
Hospital checks on Tuesday found that Delfouneso had suffered concussion as well as bruising and swelling. He was discharged that night to recover at home.
The forward met with his team-mates yesterday but won’t be considered for the squad to face Southend United tomorrow – although he should be fine for the following weekend’s visit to MK Dons.
Delfouneso said: “I’m okay. I’m still here, which is the most important thin. I’m feeling much better than on Tuesday night, that’s for sure.
“I’ve no idea what happened. I’ve seen the incident back and it did look a very bad hit.
“But at the time I couldn’t tell you what happened. I don’t think I properly came around with any sort of sense until I got to the hospital.
“I remember very little but the most important thing is that I’m all right now and I’m working towards a recovery.
“I don’t even remember being on a stretcher. I barely remember even being here. I couldn’t tell you anything about the ambulance ride either or whether they were playing music.
“At the hospital they checked my neck and spine, and everything was okay. I was a bit out of it. I got told I looked like I was a bit drugged up, though they didn’t give me anything.
“I’m very lucky. I feel it could have been a lot worse but I think I will be back out there very quickly.
“I’ve got a little bit of swelling on the right side of my head, where I got hit, then I’ve got a bit of swelling on the left, where I landed on the floor.
My shoulder is a bit sore from how I landed as well.
“I’ve had a few headaches but I feel much better. I’m moving in the right direction.”
Delfouneso was treated on the pitch by paramedics for more than seven minutes after the collision with Page.
The Charlton player was also substituted but was able to walk to the touchline.
“It was a complete accident,” Delfouneso added. “The ball is bouncing, so I’d expect the defender to be there.
“I wouldn’t expect to go up and touch the ball without having some pressure.
“It’s just unfortunate that I got there quite a bit before he did and he’s just taken me out. But there was no intention.
“I hope he’s all right. I was told he was able to walk off, so that’s a bit better than what I had to do.”