A disappointed Neil Critchley delivers his verdict on Blackpool's home draw against Plymouth Argyle

Neil Critchley admits Blackpool are making a nasty habit of conceding late goals on home turf.

Saturday, 27th March 2021, 5:48 pm
Updated Saturday, 27th March 2021, 5:54 pm

Read More

Read More
Blackpool 2-2 Plymouth Argyle: Seasiders suffer late blow as they're held to a f...

A stoppage-time equaliser from Plymouth’s Joe Edwards denied Blackpool a third straight victory, as the two sides played out a 2-2 draw at Bloomfield Road.

The Seasiders looked to be heading for all three points after fighting back from a goal down, Sullay Kaikai and Jerry Yates the men to net in the second period.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool boss Neil Critchley

Blackpool’s comeback had come after former Seasider Ryan Hardie, who left Bloomfield Road to join Argyle on a permanent basis in January, had given Ryan Lowe’s side a deserved first-half lead.

While Blackpool didn’t quite hit the heights of their recent wins against Oxford United and Peterborough United, it looked as though they had done enough to claim another win in their promotion challenge.

But Edwards struck in the first minute of stoppage time to deny Critchley’s side, who were pegged back at home late on once again to draw for the fifth time in their last six outings on home turf.

It comes after recent home outings against Crewe Alexandra and AFC Wimbledon, where the Seasiders also conceded at the death.

“It seems like we’re making a habit of it,” Critchley said.

“I thought we were well off it in the first-half and Plymouth were by far the better team. They stopped us doing what we wanted to do.

“To be honest, I was thankful it was only 1-0 at half-time because they were the better team.

“But our response in the second-half was fantastic, we were a completely different team and came back into it really well.

“Scoring straight away really helps a minute or two after half-time and at 2-1 we had some really good opportunities to go and finish the game, but we weren’t clinical enough.

“We should have finished the game off at that point because we were dominant.

“Even though our goal was never really under threat in the second-half, as we’ve seen in previous games you always run the risk of something like that happening.

“We didn’t defend the cross well enough and we didn’t defend well enough in the box.

“We’re disappointed to draw, but there are still some positives. We didn’t get beat, we’ve had a tough run of fixtures but we’re still in a good position in the league.

“We get a couple of days to rest now and we go to Swindon next Friday.”

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here