Bank on Lloyd for dazzling display

Buxton 0 AFC Fylde 4

By The Newsroom
Monday, 3rd February 2014, 8:58 am
Lloyd - in goal-scoring form
Lloyd - in goal-scoring form

While the whole Coasters team impressed, Lloyd was outstanding as he mesmerised and tantalised the home defence.

The adverse weather, which saw four matches in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier postponed, cast doubts over the game until two hours before kick-off but Fylde seized their chance to climb above Worksop into third place.

The scoreline was perhaps harsh on Buxton but they could not convert any of the chances they created.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Buxton’s Lee Morris had the first shot but it sailed harmlessly wide of keeper Ben Hinchliffe’s post.

Buxton boasted former Football League players in keeper Andy Warrington and Derek Niven, the latter going close with a shot from outside the area.

The tide began to turn as the impressive Matty Blinkhorn shot just over, but still the home side looked the more likely to break the deadlock, hitting the post at one point.

However, the Coasters took a the lead at half-time after Lloyd beat two before firing past the onrushing Warrington.

It was a goal of real quality and probably the pivotal point in the match after 41 minutes.

The second half started much like the first, with Buxton on top and searching for a goal. Craig King and sub Mark Reed had efforts before Fylde could really get going

The match threatened to peter out on a deteriorating pitch, but when Michael Barnes replaced Richie Allen it proved an inspired substitution.

When Lloyd whipped in a corner on 68 minutes, it caught the wind and flew past Warrington into the empty net. Barnes looked to have got a touch, though Lloyd is also claiming it!

Joe Booth went close to a third as he curled a shot just wide of the far post with the outside of his right foot.

Two late goals added gloss to the victory, the unstoppable Lloyd beating a couple of players to find the bottom corner on 83 minutes.

Lloyd believes the goal completed his hat-trick, though Barnes may have something to say about that.

There were no doubts surrounding the final goal in stoppage time.

A Fylde corner was cleared only to be played back towards the far-post, where Andy Russell tapped in from close range.