Why Meghan and Harry are planning to take 'proper time off' from work
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are planning to take ‘proper time off’ following the birth of their second child, according to Vanity Fair.
The US outlet also claims that the couple are hoping to deliver their second child, a girl, at their home in California.
A break is seen as an opportunity for the couple to “ spend time together as a family”.
The claims come weeks after the couple’s interview with Oprah Winfrey which garnered global interest.
During the interview Meghan revealed that she had experienced suicidal thoughts during her time with the Royal Family. She also told Winfrey that a member of the royal family had expressed concern about the colour of their son Archie ahead of his birth in 2019.
Both the Duke and Duchess also claimed that they had been married before the royal wedding in 2018, a claim which has been refuted by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The couple stepped away from royal life in March 2020.
Why are the couple taking time off?
A source told Vanity Fair: “it will be the summer and they want to make sure they both take their leave so they have some real quality time together once the baby arrives.”
The source, said to be close to the couple, added: “they will both take some proper time off”.
Following the birth of Archie the couple were quick to return to work with Harry attending a work engagement in the Netherlands during paternity leave, and Meghan editing an issue of British Vogue.
The couple are also planning to have a home birth, according to claims from Page Six.
A source told the website of the plans, stating: “she has a beautiful home in California, it's a beautiful setting to give birth to her baby girl.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had previously planned a home birth at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor for their first child Archie, but plans were scrapped when the baby was overdue. He was born London’s Portland Hospital on May 6, 2019.
What did Archbishop of Canterbury say about wedding?
In an interview with la Repubblica, the Archbishop of Canterbury was asked about the couple’s claims and he said the legal wedding was on the Saturday, adding: “But I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.”
The Archbishop told the Italian newspaper: “If any of you ever talk to a priest, you expect them to keep that talk confidential.
“It doesn’t matter who I’m talking to. I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the duke and duchess before the wedding.
“The legal wedding was on the Saturday. I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false.”
During the interview, Meghan told Winfrey: “You know, three days before our wedding we got married.
“No-one knows that, but we called the Archbishop and we just said, ‘Look, this thing, this spectacle, is for the world, but we want our union between us’.”
She said the vows they have framed are “just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury”.