Washing machine sparks emergency call-out

A washing machine sparked an emergency after it caught fire at a home in Grange Park, say fire services.

Friday, 16th March 2018, 8:38 am
Updated Friday, 16th March 2018, 9:55 am
Two engines from Blackpool were alerted via a 999 call inwhich the occupant saida"washing machine had blown up, and their kitchen was on fire."

Two engines from Blackpool were alerted via a 999 call in which the occupant said a"washing machine had blown up", and their "kitchen was on fire."

Crews arrived at the scene just after 5pm on Thursday, March 15 to find all occupants of the property had fully evacuated.

A fire service spokesman said: "When we arrived we were presented with thick black smoke issuing from the ground floor kitchen.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"Two firefighters entered the property in breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire with a high pressure hose reel.

"All the occupants had safely left the property after working smoke alarms alerted the occupants.

"Please check your smoke alarms are working regularly and adhere to the manufacturers recommendations on distances between the washing machine and the surrounding structures and materials used. "

Crews spent around 30 minutes at the scene.

Nobody was injured.