VIDEO: Roads reopened after explosion devastates Blackpool guest house

Residents have today been allowed back into their homes following a major gas explosion in Blackpool.

Sunday, 24th September 2017, 10:59 am
Updated Wednesday, 27th September 2017, 12:02 pm
The scene of the explosion on Charles Stret

The blast on Charles Street, at around 5.55pm on Saturday, left two people trapped inside the property, who had to be freed by emergency services.

Read More

Read More
Major gas explosion 'obliterated' property while elderly couple were inside

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Residents and Charles Street and Milbourne Street were evacuated, while Cookson Street and Grosvenor Street were shut on Saturday night.

Those displaced were given shelter at the Salvation Army Citadel on Raikes Parade or St John's Church, on Church Street.

In a statement on Sunday morning, Blackpool Police said: "All roads have been reopened and residents have been allowed back to their homes.

"A police presence is still required until the local council arranges fencing for the properties affected by the explosion.

The scene of the explosion on Charles Stret

"Thank you for your patience in this matter."

Police said on Saturday night that six people had been hurt in the explosion but that nobody was seriously injured.

However, other reports of the incident quote the North West Ambulance Service as saying four were injured, including one person with 'major trauma'.

The Gazette has attempted to contact NWAS for more information but nobody was available. The service was unable to confirm details of any injuries when contacted by The Gazette on Saturday night.

The scene of the explosion on Charles Stret

In a statement issued on Sunday morning, Lancashire Fire and Rescue said: "Last night, six fire engines from Blackpool, South Shore, Bispham, Fleetwood, Lytham, Preston and specialist appliances such as the Urban Search and Rescue Team from Chorley and the Command Support Unit from Fulwood were called to a suspected gas explosion in Blackpool.

"Firefighters quickly established that there were two people trapped in the rubble and they worked with paramedics to release them. Both casualties were released using specialist equipment and they were transferred to paramedics who later took them to hospital.

"By midnight, firefighters remained at the scene to make sure that the property was structurally safe for a full search of the building.

"At 2am, a scent dog had completed a full search of the property and nothing was detected. Firefighters then handed the scene over to the control of the police and returned to their station.

"A full investigation is now underway."