Man ran back inside burning takeaway
Shocked fire chiefs have issued a stark warning after a man was filmed running back inside a burning building, telling him: 'You could have died.'
Livestreamed footage of the inferno at the highly-rated Italian Star takeaway in Red Bank Road, Bispham, yesterday showed the unnamed man twice dart back into the building, which was engulfed by thick black smoke and flames.
In the clip, which was shared more than 800 times and seen by more than 30,000 people, passers-by could be heard yelling at the man to stay away as he repeatedly put his life at risk.
John Taylor, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman, said: “It’s heart-wrenching when you think about your treasured possessions going up in smoke, but fire is so unpredictable and you could be overcome by smoke and die in situations like this.
“It’s a simple but stark message – you don’t go back into a fire. You could die in the attempt. It’s as simple at that.”
Firefighters on two engines from Blackpool and one each from Bispham and South Shore were called at 8.03am, and were initially told somebody may be trapped inside the inferno.
They put on oxygen masks in case they needed to carry out a rescue, before using four water jets to tackle the flames after confirmed nobody was inside the building.
Red Bank Road was blocked in both directions as crews fought to put out the flames, which gutted the takeaway. Flats above were damaged by the smoke that poured from the takeaway, one official said, though firefighters were successful in their bid to stop the fire spreading to a hair salon next door, The Curl Company, which was able to open as normal.
A black Hyundai i20 parked outside was badly damaged, however.
Wendy Collins, 42, of Warbreck Drive, said: “I was getting up and I heard someone yelling outside. I looked out my window and there were these big clouds of smoke coming from the takeaway. There was a couple of people running around like mad.”
Carl Woods, 32, of Bispham, added: “I was going to the shops and could see the smoke from a distance and the air smelt of burnt plastic. I think they tried to move the car to safety but it was too late, the flames had already got it.”
A man in an Italian Star shirt was at the scene, but did not give a comment.