This is where Fleetwood fire crews discovered the cause of the mystery burning smell last night

Fleetwood fire crews took to the streets to investigate a mystery burning which filled the air across town yesterday evening (Sunday, February 28).

Monday, 1st March 2021, 12:11 pm
Updated Monday, 1st March 2021, 1:30 pm

People took to social media to discuss the strong smell of burning fumes, which wafted through town between 5pm and 10pm.

The stench of burning rubber or plastics was so pungent that those with asthma and other respiratory issues were forced to close their windows.

One resident said: "My daughter and I were out around 5pm and had to come in because it was affecting my asthma. Our clothes smelt terribly of smoke when we got in."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fleetwood fire crews took to the streets to investigate the mystery burning smell and even knocked on people's doors to ask whether they had spotted any fires from their back windows. Pic: Gemma McDermott
Fleetwood fire crews took to the streets to investigate the mystery burning smell and even knocked on people's doors to ask whether they had spotted any fires from their back windows. Pic: Gemma McDermott

Another resident said: "My washing smelled of smoke when I brought it in earlier but not BBQ smoke- it was a horrible smoky smell."

The smell was so strong that fire crews from Fleetwood station hit the streets in a bid to track down the source, driving down avenues and checking gardens.

Zeroing in on the source, firefighters even knocked on people's doors to ask whether they could spot any fire or smoke from behind their homes.

At around 10pm, crews narrowed their search down to the streets around Flakefleet Primary School where they eventually found what they were looking for in Lingfield Road.

At around 10pm, fire crews narrowed their search down to the streets around Flakefleet Primary School where they eventually found fumes coming from a garden fire in Lingfield Road. Pic: Google

"Firefighters found some small burning of waste in a garden on Lingfield Road which was thought to be the cause of the smell, " said a fire service spokesman.

Fire crews asked the homeowner to extinguish the fire and gave them advice about which materials they should avoid burning in garden fires.

The Blackpool Gazette is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.

For unlimited access to Fylde coast news and information online, you can subscribe here.