Permit needed for demolition waste

People who want to dispose of construction and demolition waste for free at Lancashire County Council’s recycling centres are being reminded they need to apply for a permit.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 6:30 am
County Councillor Janice Hanson
County Councillor Janice Hanson

The council is bringing in a permit system to limit how much construction and demolition waste people can dispose of for free at Household Waste Recycling Centres, with charges being applied for any extra.

Residents can apply for a permit from today to be ready for the new system which begins on June 1.

The new policy will help to reduce the estimated £750,000 annual cost of dealing with ‘inert’ waste such as soil, rubble, ceramics such as toilets and sinks, and plasterboard.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Residents can apply for a free permit allowing them to dispose of up to 10x25kg bags of construction waste a year without charge.

A charge of £3.50 per 25kg bag or equivalent item will be applied for any further waste, or for any waste delivered without a permit. Permits are valid for a calendar year, or until the free allowance has been used.

County Coun Janice Hanson, cabinet member for public protection and waste, said: “If you know you will want to dispose of construction and demolition waste in the coming months, please think about applying for your permit now so you’ve got it when you need it.”

Recycling Centres on the Fylde coast can be found on Saltcotes Road, Lytham, and Jameson Road, Fleetwood.