Pan left on cooker sparks kitchen fire in Blackpool

Two fire engines rushed to a home in Blackpool after a pan was reportedly left on a cooker.

Monday, 19th April 2021, 4:14 pm

The appliances raced to the address in Argosy Avenue at around 12.30pm today (April 19).

Firefighters equipped with two breathing apparatus used one hose reel and a ventilation unit to tackle the flames.

No injuries were reported.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Two fire engines rushed to a home in Argosy Avenue.
Two fire engines rushed to a home in Argosy Avenue.

Crews were at the scene for approximately 25 minutes.

Read More

Read More
Motorcyclist left with 'serious injuries' after crash in Pilling

How to prevent cooking fires

- Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re distracted or called away from the cooker

- Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure fat doesn’t get too hot

- If you’re off enjoying a night out, consider preparing some food for when you come home or perhaps visiting a takeaway instead if you are hungry

- Don’t overfill a pan with oil – never fill it more than one-third full

- Don’t store items on cooker hobs. Radiated heat can easily ignite combustible items. It is easy to accidentally turn on the wrong dial for the hob or oven

- Avoid storing items in the oven incase it gets switched on accidentally

- If your pan does catch fire, don’t throw water over it; especially if you were cooking with fat or hot oil

- Be very careful if you are wearing loose clothing

To find out more, visit the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service website by clicking HERE.

It is thanks to our loyal readers that we can continue to provide the trusted news, analysis and insight that matters to you. For unlimited access to our unrivalled local reporting, you can take out a subscription here and help support the work of our dedicated team of reporters.