OAP 'very poorly' after accidentally setting herself on fire

The air ambulance was helped out to help move the woman
The air ambulance was helped out to help move the woman
Share this article
Have your say

An elderly woman suffered serious injuries after accidentally setting her clothes on fire with a cigarette, it is believed.

The pensioner was airlifted to Wythenshawe Hospital, which has a serious burns unit, at 6.30pm yesterday after paramedics were called to Hammerton Place on Grange Park.

She was in a 'very poorly' condition, though conscious, a spokesman for the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said.

An investigation is now underway to determine the full facts of what happened.

A spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) said a 999 call was made at 5.34pm and logged as a 'red two' life-threatening emergency, which paramedics are expected to reach within eight minutes in 75 per cent of cases.

An ambulance arrived on the scene 16 minutes later, at 5.50pm, with a helicopter from the North West Air Ambulance Service called out around 20 minutes after that.

Fire crews - two from Blackpool and one from Bispham - were also called out, at 5.45pm, but found there was no fire to put out, though they did help the paramedics.

An NWAS spokesman said: “The trust apologises for the delay and would like to assure the patient that we did allocate a resource as soon as one became available.

"We were dealing with a number of other incidents within the Blackpool area at the time, including three other ‘red’ priority calls within the same hour."

More to follow