Inquest set to start into war hero’s death

The father of a Fylde soldier killed in action during the war in Afghanistan has today pledged to fight for answers at an inquest into his death.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 1st December 2014, 1:00 pm

David Broughton said he hoped “lessons will be learned” after the death of son Sam Flint-Broughton in April 2013.

The Fusilier, 21, was one of three soldiers who died when the armoured vehicle he was travelling in was hit by an improvised explosive device.

Fusilier Flint-Broughton had joined the Army in November 2011 and was on his first overseas deployment.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The family of Fusilier Samuel Flint-Broughton at St Chad's Church,Poulton le Fylde before the Remembrance Day service. Brother Daniel and dad Dave are holding the Maltese Cross given to them by soldiers, which incorporates the shell fired from a Camp Bastion gun, at the end of the minute's silence marking the repatriation of Sam.

An inquest into his death is set to start at Oxford Coroner’s Court today, with Mr Broughton choosing to represent Sam himself, rather than use a barrister.

He said: “It is booked in for eight days – in that time anything can happen.

“Most of the family will be there.

“I hope lessons will be learned. I am dealing with it (legal representation) myself.

“It has been really difficult. Over the past three weeks I have gone through more than 600 pages of paperwork.

“I’ve had to learn army abbreviations and legal terminology.

“Sam’s mum has a barrister and I feel they know the legalities, but they do not get our view across. It is more of a personal touch. It is just a way I can get my view across.”

The inquest into Fusilier Flint-Broughton’s death was originally scheduled to take place in June, but inquest documents were not ready in time.

After Fusilier Flint-Broughton’s body was repatriated to the UK, hundreds of people lined the streets of Poulton to see his funeral cortege make its way to St Chad’s Church.

His name was later added to the town’s war memorial.

He is survived by mum Karen Flint, stepmum Shirley Broughton and siblings Daniel, Jason, David, Linsey, Corina and Porcha.

Three killed and six injured after explosion

The Ministry of Defence said the soldiers were part of a patrol travelling along Route 611 between Forward Operating Base Ouellette and Patrol Base Lashkar Gah Durai in Nahr-e-Saraj when their vehicle was hit by an improvised explosive device.

Cpl William Savage, of the Royal Highland Fusiliers, the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, and Pte Robert Hetherington, of the 51st Highland, 7th Battalion, also died in the explosion.

Six other soldiers were injured.