Girl, 12, died inhaling Right Guard aerosol chemicals

A schoolgirl died after she was overcome by fumes from her can of Right Guard deodorant as she sprayed it on herself inside her family's seaside holiday caravan.

Thursday, 30th March 2017, 11:35 am
Updated Saturday, 8th April 2017, 10:27 pm
Paige Daughtry

Paige Daughtry, 12, had been so keen on protecting her personal hygiene she was overusing under-arm body spray, an inquest heard.

It is feared she used the deodorant so much, the fumes from her aerosol, which contained ‘volatile substances,’ affected Paige as she inhaled them while listening to music after going swimming.

The youngster was found lying face down on a bed by her mother in the master bedroom of a caravan they were renting at the Cala Gran holiday park in Fleetwood.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Cala Gran holiday park in Fleetwood during flooding last year

She was rushed to hospital where she died two hours later despite attempts to revive her.

Police investigating the tragedy on July 18 last year found Paige’s can of Right Guard deodorant lying on grass outside the en-suite bathroom of the caravan - close to where the schoolgirl was found.

Doctors said she had inhaled butane and isobutane from the tin - but said there was no evidence of ‘chronic use.’

The inquest in Manchester heard Paige, a “bright and talented” girl who attended Royton and Crompton School in Oldham, had harboured ambitions of a career in music or art.

The Cala Gran holiday park in Fleetwood during flooding last year

She was three days into her trip at at the Cala Gran holiday park at the start of the school summer holidays with her parents Ann and Stuart and older sister Catherine.

Mrs Daughtry, 36, told the hearing: “She would spend hours in the bedroom and would spray and spray as she didn’t want to smell. She used to spray it in small rooms and I used to tell her off.

“I suppose that’s something every 12-year-old girl would do.

“But she was overusing deodorant - it was more than we would have expected any girl to put on.

“But there was never a point we started to think there was an issue - not in the way we would have thought she was doing any sniffing or anything like that.

“There were no indications whatsoever, I would have noticed.

“She was a strong character. My feeling is she was the way she was and there was no changing her no matter what we did she marched to her own beat, that was Paige.

“Paige was looking forward to the holiday - we went every year.

“We did some swimming and went into Blackpool and came back.

“We were as a family together all day, she did have a bit of a strop that day - but that was her being a teenager.

“From Paige going in her room and me shouting her it was about 10 or 15 minutes.

“I shouted, there was no response, I went in and sought assistance.

“I was screaming at the top of my lungs, trying to pull her off her the bed and phone 999.”

Two holidaymakers from neighbouring caravans came to assist with CPR before paramedics arrived and took Paige to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

Forensic pathologist Dr Jonathan Metcalfe said Paige’s death was caused by inhalation of volatile substances.

He added: “Analysis of brain samples revealed two substances present in aerosols - they are known as volatile substances.

“They are known to be present in Right Guard deodorant which was present at the scene.

“Their presence is consistent with inhalation. Death may result from the toxicological effects. The substances are butane and isobutane.

“There was no natural disease that has contributed to her death. There was no evidence of heavy use and no direct evidence that there was chronic use.”

Coroner Alan Wilson recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.