Elderly man hurt after trying to fight fire with hose

An elderly man was taken to hospital after trying to fight a fire using his garden hose.

Saturday, 28th July 2018, 10:16 am
Updated Saturday, 28th July 2018, 10:22 am

Two fire crews from Blackpool and one from Bispham were called to a house in Elletson Street in Poulton at 5.49pm yesterday to reports of a kitchen fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reels to extinguish the blaze. Two ground floor rooms were severely damaged by the fire, and a third room was damaged by heat and smoke.

Paramedics attended, and an elderly man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

Crews left the scene by 9.30pm. The fire is not thought to be suspicious.