VIDEO: Driver leads police on '100mph' chase down M55 ... but is expertly boxed in after having his tyres popped

This is the moment a desperate driver led police on a 100mph stolen car chase down the M55 motorway.

Monday, 31st December 2018, 8:28 am
Updated Wednesday, 9th January 2019, 3:33 am
The stolen car was stopped quickly and efficiently by chasing police officers (Picture: Lancashire Road Policing Unit)

But Michael Waters, 32, didn't account for the expert abilities of Lancashire's road policing officers, who popped his tyres using a stinger device before boxing him in and bringing him to a halt.

Video of the hair-raising encounter, which happened at around 7.30pm on Monday, September 24, was released by police this morning after Waters, of Mansfield Road, Layton, was jailed.

He was sentenced to eight months behind bars for aggravated vehicle taking, with four months on top for having a knife in a separate incident, a spokeswoman for Preston Crown Court said.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The stolen car was stopped quickly and efficiently by chasing police officers (Picture: Lancashire Road Policing Unit)

Waters was also convicted of assault, failing to stop for police, refusing to provide a specimen, and having no car insurance or licence.

The chase started when a police officer spotted the stolen white Ford Kuga, the Road Policing Unit said.

And in the footage, taken from the dashboard-mounted cameras of the pursuing vehicles, an officer can be heard telling the control room he was about to pull the car over.

But, as the car accelerates away after spotting the flashing blue lights, he says it is "failing to stop" and asks permission to give chase.

With only light traffic and "good" visibility, the Kuga is pursued down the middle lane at speeds of around 100mph even after having its tyres punctured.

"It has increased speed to 100mph and is now smoking heavily," the officer says.

"He certainly has at least two or three flat tyres. I'm just going to wait for the speed to drop down a bit more."

After being given the green light to attempt a box in manoeuvre,, the officer accelerates to overtake the Kuga, before pulling in front of it and gradually slowing down.

Waters can be seen swerving to try and get away, losing a tyre completely in the process, but the chasing officer bravely brakes and is spun 45 degrees as the chase comes to a loud and sudden stop.

At that point, other police cars stop to the left and back of the Kuga, with officers jumping out to arrest Waters from the driver's side, as dogs can be heard barking in the background.

Waters, who was committed to crown court for sentencing due to the seriousness of his offences, was also disqualified from driving for 18 months.

The Road Policing Unit said the "safe stop" came after a "superb team effort" by the tactical operations unit, armed response vehicles, police dog unit, and motorway police.