These are this week's cases and convictions from Blackpool Magistrates' Court - Monday, February 21 - Friday, February 25, 2022

These are the latest round-up of cases from Blackpool Magistrates' Court

By Helen Nicholas
Friday, 28th January 2022, 12:13 pm
Updated Friday, 25th February 2022, 12:16 pm

** Police had to tackle club coach **

The coach of Blackpool Rugby Union club had to be tackled to the floor by police, a court heard.

Mark Stephenson was offensive and aggressive in a alcohol fuelled incident in his home town of Fleetwood.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Blackpool Magistrates' Court

During the incident police also had to pepper spray the 43-year -old who played rugby at National League level .

Stephenson, a father-of-three from Poulton Street, Fleetwood, admitted obstructing the police by resisting arrest and threatening behaviour.

Deputy District Judge Phil Barnes, at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court, agreed to hear the case by video link after Stephenson failed to turn up for the seventh listing of his case . He fined the defendant £305, of which £100 is compensation to a police constable, and told Stephenson: “You were clearly intoxicated and struggled with an officer your behaviour deteriorated and you became aggressive and an incapacitant spray had to be used on you - drink is a common factor in your offending.”

The court heard police were called to a domestic incident in Poulton Street and saw the defendant pushing another male.

Stephenson refused to stay still and walked away from officers staggering at times.

Attempts to handcuff him failed until he was sprayed.

During the incident he bruised an officer’s arm.

Steven Townley defending said: “This man has a drink problem. He is going to live with his parents and is seeking help from alcohol services.”

Stephenson was currently living off State benefits .

** School cleaner was three times the limit**

A school cleaner was three times over the drink driving limit when her car was stopped by police.

They had seen Alyson Purdon driving in strange manner on Devonshire Road, Blackpool, the court was told.

Blackpool Magistrates heard how her driving was odd because her power steering had broken.

However, she was over the limit after drinking at a party the night before.

She admitted the offence and was banned from driving for two years.

Forty-three-year-old Purdon, of Regent Road, must also do ten rehabilitation days and 100 hours unpaid work .

She was also ordered to pay £180 costs .

** Harassment campaign waged against woman **

A man pursued a course of relentless harassment against a female neighbour.

Peter Walton’s behaviour affected his victim so much she was forced to move to a hotel to get a night’s sleep.

Walton, 59, of St Leonards Court, Fleet Street, St Annes, admitted harassment when he appeared before District Judge Jane Goodwin at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Over a two week period, Walton ‘s persistent and unwanted behaviour was described in eight statements made by his victim who works for a local lawfirm.

It included covering up her security cameras with paper and continually knocking on her door and using her flat intercom system.

He would call out her name and at one stage she believed he had got in her flat and removed a key and got into her car and moved items including her seat.

He also went to her workplace and asked questions about her.

He knocked on her windows and sent her text messages .

One night when she confronted Walton who walks with the aid of crutches he managed to run off.

Scott Parker, prosecuting said: “Thus was unwanted behaviour which became relentless so much so she moved to a hotel to get peace.

“The victim told police - this has got to stop. I am scared of what he will do next.”

Andrew Nottingham, defending, said his client who appeared from custody because he had broken bail conditions was considering moving to Preston .

He said: “They were friends and neighbour’s for some time and struggled to accept this was over.”

Walton was given an eight week jail term, suspended for 18 months .

He must do 35 rehabilitation days and pay £213 costs.

He was made the subject of a two year restraining order forbidding him from going near her flat or place of work .

The judge told him: “You put your victim through stress and sleepless nights.”