Road-rage terrorist who deliberately drove over man has jail term increased

A convicted terrorist who left a man brain-damaged after deliberately running him over in a road-rage attack has had his jail term increased.

Thursday, 12th July 2018, 6:45 pm
Updated Monday, 16th July 2018, 5:38 pm
Court news
Court news

Shahid Ali drove his Mercedes at Patrick Colbert, who was in Birmingham celebrating his 35th birthday at the time of the incident in July last year.

He then drove over the victim as he lay on the ground, leaving him with severe injuries.

Ali, 43, of Bromford Lane, Washwood Heath, Birmingham, was jailed for 12 years at Birmingham Crown Court in April after being found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The case was referred to the Court of Appeal by Solicitor General Robert Buckland and Ali's sentence has been increased to 15 years.

Lord Justice Treacy said the victim's life had been "seriously blighted" and the original sentence was "unduly lenient".

The judge told the court Mr Colbert had been drinking before the incident, which happened in the Balsall Heath area at about 4.30pm on July 11 last year, but was "not angry or aggressive".

When the victim approached the car in front of Ali's, in a queue of traffic, Ali swore and shouted at him before driving at him and knocking him to the ground.

He then drove over his legs, chest and head, leaving him with severe injuries including brain damage, fractures to his skull, ribs and sternum and collapsed lungs.

Ali then drove his car three miles away and dumped it, but was captured on CCTV and later handed himself in to police.

Mr Colbert, who worked as a labourer before the incident, was left unable to work or play sport and needs professional care.

He will also have to undergo further surgery to repair the fractures to his skull.

Lord Justice Treacy said: "This was a very serious offence, committed deliberately in anger by driving in a very hostile and dangerous manner."

Ali was previously convicted of assisting in the preparation of terrorist acts and was jailed for 27 months in 2009.

He was part of a group which sent items of military equipment to rebel forces fighting British soldiers in Afghanistan between 2004 and 2006, the judge said.

Speaking after the court's ruling Mr Buckland said: "Ali made a deliberate choice to carry out an horrific act and further to this attempted to conceal his actions.

"I am pleased that the Court of Appeal has agreed to increase Ali's sentence and hope that this brings his victim some comfort."