Latest convictions from Blackpool's court - Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Ryan Fletcher, 23, breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order

A man accused of breaching a sexual order by meeting girls in a cemetery and play park at Blackpool has appeared at court.

Ryan Fletcher, 23, of Dickson Road, Blackpool, pleaded not guilty to breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order, made at Preston Crown Court in January 2015, by having contact with two 12-year-old girls.

The offence is alleged to have taken place at Layton Cemetery and Kingscote Park between June 1 and 15 this year.

Prosecutor Pam Smith’s application that the trial be heard at crown court was not opposed by defence lawyer Mitch Sarangi.

Fletcher was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on October 3 by District Judge Jeff Brailsford sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Fletcher must live at his given address, keep an overnight curfew there and not enter Layton Cemetery or Kingscote Park or contact the two girls aonditions of his bail.

READ MORE: Tuesday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court

Laura Durr, 36, failing to provide a specimen for alcohol testing, obstructing police and driving while disqualified without insurance

A mother who had been drinking told police she could not take a breathalyser test because she was feeling seasick.

Laura Durr also lied to police when asked her name and gave that of a friend’s.

Durr, a mental health support worker, 36, of Linden Mews, St Annes, pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for alcohol testing, obstructing police and driving while disqualified without insurance.

She was sentenced to six months jail suspended for 12 months, put on a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, banned from the road for four years and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police stopped Durr after a tip-off as she drove an Audi A3 on Whitehill Road, Peel on September 2 about 7am.

On the way to the station Durr admitted being a banned driver.

She failed to give the required breath test and kept crouching down and saying she felt seasick.

She had previous driving convictions for failing to provide a specimen.

Michael Woosnam, defending, said his client had a son who was going to a new school and it was going to be an expensive time for her.

The day before the offence she had had the offer of work in Southport, so she decided to use someone’s car which was parked on her driveway to get to the job.

Daniel Walters, 32, assault and resisting arrest

A man accused of battering a woman and resisting arrest at Blackpool has made his first appearance at court.

Daniel Walters, 32, Layton Road, Layton, pleaded not guilty to assault and resisting police on September 2.

Walters was bailed to December 5 for trial.

He must not contact the complainant as a condition of his bail.

Nathan MacManus, 19, driving with excess alcohol while disqualified and without insurance

A drunken banned driver asked a police officer the way to McDonalds in Blackpool.

Nathan MacManus came to the attention of the police at first as he was driving along Talbot Road which had been closed to traffic because of roadworks.

MacManus, 19, of Gilesgate, Durham, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol while disqualified and without insurance.

He was sentenced to six months detention in a Young Offender’s Institute suspended for 12 months, put on a curfew from 8pm to 6am, banned from the road for two years and ordered to pay £85 costs with £115 victims’ surcharge.

The judge told him: “Less than one month ago you appeared before a crown court and were disqualified from driving. You should not have been driving whether you were sober or not.”

Ronald Mason, 34, assault

A man slapped and punched his girlfriend in a Blackpool takeaway.

Ronald Mason, 34, of Kensington Court, Bury New Road, Salford, pleaded guilty to assault.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Mason was caught on CCTV at the resort’s Popeyes takeaway slapping and punching his girlfriend on September 1 at 3.30am.

He was described as telling his girlfriend not to make a statement against him and squaring up to a woman police inspector at the police station.

Mason’s defence lawyer said his client and girlfriend of 18 months had come to the resort for the night and had both drunk to excess.

They had an argument. Mason was extremely ashamed of his behaviour.

Mason was refused bail and remanded in custody for pre-sentence reports.