Latest convictions from Blackpool's court - Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 20th August 2018, 4:51 pm
Updated Monday, 20th August 2018, 4:55 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Gary Skelly, 41, Jordan Kelly, 27, burglary

Two men stole underwear valued at hundreds of pounds when they broke into a Blackpool shop.

Gary Skelly, 41, formerly of Rawcliffe Street, South Shore, now of no fixed address and Jordan Kelly, 27, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to burglary of the Ann Summers shop on Victoria Street, Blackpool.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Skelly was sentenced to 30 weeks jail and Kelly to four months.

They were both ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the manager of the Ann Summers shop was told by police August 17 at 11.45pm, that the store had been broken into and she found £537 of stock had been stolen.

Both defendants were arrested after police viewed CCTV footage from the shop.

Skelly’s record was said to be littered with burglaries and he was on licence from prison at the time.

Kelly was on post sentence supervision from prison at the time of the offence.

Brett Chappell, defending Skelly, said his client was addicted to class A drugs and alcohol, had recently been diagnosed with cancer and in his own words had “given up.”

Skelly had no recollection of committing the burglary because of the state he was in.

Read More

Read More
Friday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court

Kelly Jones 27, theft

A woman who was put under citizens arrest after she was caught stealing from a hotel has been jailed.

Kelly Jones was apprehended by the owner of the Windsor House Hotel on Dickson Road, his colleague and a guest and was found with phones, alcohol and cigarettes she had taken.

Jones, 27, of Clevedon Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to theft.

She was jailed for four months and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge.

Presiding magistrate, Brian Horrocks, told her: “You have an appalling record and your history of complying with court orders is abysmal.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the hotel owner and a colleague were cleaning on August 17 at 11.45am, when their dog alerted them.

The owner saw Jones in the restaurant area and she thrust two bottles of spirits at him she had.

She tried to run but was caught and two phones and a packet of cigarettes she had also taken were found.

At the time of the offence she was on a community order and a conditional discharge for theft.

Allan Cobain, defending, said his client had become involved in drugs again around the beginning of the year.

The day of the offence Jones was thirsty and went into the hotel intending to ask for a drink of water.

She saw the two phones and the alcohol and gave in to temptation.

Jake Doran, 27, breach of community order

A man found himself back before a court again for failing to produce evidence as to why he did not do payback work.

Jake Doran, 27, of Church Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to breaching a community order.

Magistrates sentenced him to do 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service and removed the part of his sentence which said he had to do payback work.

Gillian O’Flaherty, prosecuting for the probation service, said Doran had originally been jailed for four months, suspended for a year and ordered to do 60 hours payback work for a domestic assault and making a malicious communication.

On March 27 and June 6 he failed do to his payback work. Brett Chappell, defending, said his client did eventually send in a sick note to the probation service which stated he had had a wrist injury and mental health issues.

Lee Hart, 29, breach of the peace

A son threw objects around the flat he shared with his mother after arguing with her.

Lee Hart, 29, of Rodwell Walk, Grange Park, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace.

He was bound over in the sum of £100 for 12 months.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police were called to Hart’s address by his mother on August 18 at 5.30pm.

She was upset and shaken and said she and her son had had an argument and he had thrown items about. She also said he may have a hammer.

At first Hart would not let officers in and then would not let them search him for any weapon.

He was extremely agitated and obstructive and was arrested.

Hart told magistrates: “Me and my mum were having an argument.

“It was about family stuff.

“It was just a little argument.

“Then two coppers came in.”