Ex-inmate housed in care home attacked manager

A man housed in a residential care home on his release from prison went on to attack the manager, a court heard.

Friday, 8th April 2016, 7:35 am
Updated Friday, 8th April 2016, 8:36 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

A judge and the man’s lawyer have both questioned why prolific offender Richard Watson, 32, was living surrounded by elderly pensioners.

Watson – who has a long criminal record for violence and burglary - needs medical supervision because he has the debilitating Huntingdon’s Disease.

He walks with the aid of a crutch and he used it to strike the manager of the rest home the Moor Villa on Moor Street, Kirkham.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Watson, who now lives with his mother in St Oswald Street, Preston, admitted recklessly assaulting Carol Collier-Baker by hitting her arm with the crutch after he lost his temper when refused medication.

He was given a one-year conditional discharge by District Judge Huw Edwards sitting at Blackpool Magistrates Court. The judge told the court: ”This assault took place in a nursing home used by the elderly and infirm. You were placed there in circumstances which are not clear to me but they were not suitable for you, the other residents or the staff.

“What you did was inexcusable. You have an unenviable record but I do take into account your illness.”

Watson’s lawyer, Simon Gretton, said: “My client has been suffering from Huntingdon’s Disease for 10 years. On his release from prison he went straight to Moor Villa rest home which one might think is a strange choice of place for an ex-offender and where many of the residents are elderly.

“He takes 16 different types of medicine a day and on that day wanted some medication but the staff refused to give it to him. He became agitated and fixated and started waving his crutch around.He hit the lady recklessly rather than deliberately.

“I would have to say that this was not the most appropriate place for him to be following his release from custody.”