Blackpool: From the courts 27-02-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 27th February 2017, 9:55 am
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 9:21 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Jake Hurst, 19, drug-driving

A teenager stopped for driving without a front number plate was found to have taken drugs.

Jake Hurst, a 19-year-old seasonal worker, of Stannah Gardens, Thornton, pleaded guilty to drug driving with cannabis in his body.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

He was disqualified from driving for 12 months and fined £120 with £85 costs plus £30 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police saw Hurst driving a Ford Fiesta on Fleetwood Road North, Thornton, on December 12, without a front number plate and with his side and fog lights on.

An officer who spoke to him could smell a strong herbal smell and Hurst admitted he had smoked cannabis earlier that day. A blood test showed 3.7 units of cannabis in his body – the legal limit is 2.

Michael Woosnam, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had been in a low mood at the time because he was stressed over his career prospects.

Hurst had been an occasional user of cannabis for two years but since the offence he had not used the drug and was working with substance abuse specialists.

Andrew Shaw, 24, rape

A man accused of raping a 22-year-old woman in Lytham St Annes has made his first appearance at court.

Andrew Shaw, 24, formerly of Dickson Road, Blackpool, now living at Stanley Place, Preston, is charged with committing the offence on June 26 last year.

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said the case had to be heard at crown court.

Defence lawyer, Gary McAnulty, said his client had indicated he would plead not guilty to the offence.

Shaw was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on March 22.

Christopher Lucas, 37, possessing amphetamine and breach of conditional discharge

A man was late for court because his four bull terrier dogs escaped from their cage magistrates were told.

Christopher Lucas said he had to round up the dogs before coming to court or they would have torn his friend’s kitchen to pieces.

Lucas, 37, of Sutton Place, Blackpool, had an offence of failing to answer bail against him dropped.

He pleaded guilty to possessing amphetamine and breaching a conditional discharge imposed for an offence of causing damage.

He was sentenced to an eight weeks curfew from 8pm to 5am and ordered to pay £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police were called to a flat on Peter Street on November 8, where a bag of amphetamine had been found in a drawer.

Lucas who had been staying there admitted it was his.

He told police he bought the drug in bulk for his own use as it was cheaper.

Peter Honeyman, 39, threatening behaviour

A man who previously told a court he could not attend because his vehicle had broken down while he was in Spain and he was waiting for it to be repaired has been put on the wanted list.

Peter Honeyman, 39, of Heyhouses Lane, St Annes, who is accused of behaving in a threatening manner in St Annes, had a warrant without bail issued by magistrates after he again failed to come to court.

David Blayney, 49, theft

A man who admitted stealing meat three times fromt he same Co-op store has been placed on an eight week curfew.

David Blayney, 49, of Braemar Walk, North Shore.

Blayney must repay the Co-op £32- the value of the gammon joints he stole.

Magistrates heard that Blayney had been struggling to get benefits and stole the food to eat or sell on.

Samuel Knowles, 27, drink-driving, possessing occasions

A driver who had broken down at the side of the road was found to be over the alcohol limit and have drugs in his underwear.

Samuel Knowles, a 27-year-old marketing executive, of Scorton Avenue, Layton, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol and possessing cocaine.

He was banned from the road for 22 months and fined £540 with £85 costs plus £30 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police driving along Ballam Road, Wrea Green, on February 4 at 4.20am, saw Knowles parked at the side of the road in a Honda Civic which had a burst front tyre and its hazard lights flashing.

Knowles slurred his words when he told police he was waiting for the AA to arrive and repair his car.

He then admitted he had some cocaine wrapped up in the band of his underwear.

A breath test showed he was more than twice over the limit with 83 micrograms of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit.

He has four previous drug convictions.

David Charnley, defending, said Knowles’ girlfriend’s mother had phoned him and he offered to pick her up because he felt fit to drive.

Michael Buckley, 25, breach of bail terms

A 25-year-old man who admitted breaching the terms of his bail by texting his former partner has been re bailed.

Michael Buckley, 25, of Dinmore Avenue, Grange Park, admitted the offence. His lawyer Steven Townley said Buckley had reacted to a phone call from the woman.

Keith Lennon, 52, possession of indecent images of children

A 52-year-old man has been sent for Crown Court trial charged with posssessing indecent images of children.

Keith Lennon will appear at the higher court on March 29. He was bailed by magistrates until that date.

Lennon is accused of possessing 61 images - 23 of them Category A which is the most serious.

Benjamin Bailey, 32, dangerous driving

A 32-year-old man who drove at speeds of 60mph in built up areas of Blackpool has admitted dangerous driving.

Benjamin Bailey, of Torquay Avenue, Blackpool, also admitted having no driving licence andno insurance when he drove the Audi .

Magistrates heard how Bailey’s vehicle caused a police alert when its number plate was checked by a traffic officer.

Police followed the car through North Shore and Bispham where Bailey put his foot down to throw police off his tail.

He went the wrong way round a roundabout and forced other drivers to take evasive action.

Martine Connah said at one stage he drove at 60 mph in a 30 mph zone before he was finally halted and arrested.

He will appear at Preston Crown Court on March 29.