Blackpool: From the courts 24-04-18

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Share this article

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Monday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 23-04-18

Jack Hook, 19, assault

A teenager repeatedly subjected his girlfriend to domestic violence.

Jack Hook knelt on her arms, grabbed her hair, banged her head, kicked her in the chest and stamped on her leg.

Hook, a 19-year-old shop worker, of Bold Street, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to two offences of assault.

He was sentenced to a two year community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, ordered to do 150 hours unpaid work for the community and told to pay £100 compensation with £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said the victim was in the bedroom of Hook’s flat on March 27 and she described him as being in a mood.

He became angry, pushed her onto the bed and straddled her with his knees, causing bruising to her arms.

He then punched a hole in the bedroom door and returned to grab her by the hair and bang her head into a mattress.

The police were alerted and the victim told officers of previous incidents in which he had kicked and stamped on her.

The victim had been in a relationship with Hook for six months and her parents said they had noticed bruising on their daughter at times and were concerned for her welfare.

Stephen Hyatt, 31, assault and criminal damage

A former soldier who threw some ladders at his fiancée injuring her face described himself as “mortally drunk” at the time.

Stephen Hyatt told police he could not remember attacking his fiancée or damaging items in their home.

Hyatt, 31, formerly of Bagot Street, South Shore, now living at Clifford Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to assault and damaging a microwave oven door and crockery.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community order with up to 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, ordered to do 40 hours unpaid work for the community and told to pay £85 costs with £35 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said Hyatt’s partner called 999 0n March 31 and told police her partner had hit her with a set of ladders.

Police found her upstairs in her home having a panic attack.

She had injuries to the right-hand side of her forehead, eye and neck.

When interviewed by police Hyatt said they had both been drinking and all he remembered was that they had rowed in the kitchen.

Michael Woosnam, defending, told magistrates his client, who had served four-and-a-half years in the Army and been discharged about two years ago, said both he and his partner had been drinking the night of the offence.

Amy Martin, 26, assault

A woman has made her first appearance at court accused of attacking her female partner.

Amy Martin, 26, of Ashton Road, Blackpool, pleaded not guilty to assault.

She was bailed to July 6 for trial.

Martin must not contact the complainant or enter the resort’s Ormond Avenue as conditions of her bail.

Mark O’Connor, 26, assault

A man walked into the sea after arguing with his girlfriend when they were in a nightspot.

Mark O’Connor told her: “No-one cares about me, I don’t want to be here any more.”

O’Connor, 26, of Gynn Avenue, North Shore, pleaded guilty to assault.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said O’Connor and his girlfriend had been out for the night on April 21, and were in Walkabout when they argued.

He left the club and walked into the sea.

She went after him and he then waded out and sat on a wall.

The complainant said he then hit her across the face with the back of his hand.

A couple intervened between them and the complainant called the police.

O’Connor was bailed to July 18 for a hearing.

Lee Grogan, 28, breach of non-molestation order

A man breached a court order by visiting the home of his pregnant former girlfriend.

Lee Grogan, 28, of Central Drive, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a condition of a non-molestation order.

He was bailed for sentence at a later date.

Grogan must live at his given address and not contact his ex as conditions of his bail.

The court was told that in October last year Grogan was made the subject of a non-molestation order which banned him from contacting his ex.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Grogan went round to an address where his former girlfriend lived between April 20 and 22, picked up a concrete slab and threw it about.

Adam Whittaker, defending, said Grogan’s ex wanted a reconciliation.